Howard Identification

Home Forums General Help and information Howard Identification

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    wristpin
    Participant

A neighbour has been given a Howard Rotavator that has stood unused for 20 years and asked me to get it running.
    At first sight it was a 300 or 350 but walking round it the absence of the usual cone clutch and the presence of the Dowdswell 352 type auxiliary flywheel and jockey pulley type drive engagement mechanism cast doubt on the initial impression.
    The bearing housings for the rotor shaft are riveted to the chain case and memory says that was only so with the early 300s and that the 350s and presumably the 352s had those holders bolted on so that changing the bearings did not involve a major strip down.
    So is this machine a 352 or was a Dowdswell 352 clutch kit offered as an update ?

PS Before anyone comments – I know that the tyres are pointing the wrong way round!!

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

Progress, the machine is up and running courtesy of a donor fuel tank as cleaning 20 year’s worth of gunge from the original tank revealed more perforations than a certain brand of tea bag.
    The only thing outstanding is leaking rotor shaft seals but for the amount of work that it is going to do, rather than get in deep trying to extract the failed seals, I will probably settle for semi – fluid grease in the chain case rather than oil.
    Does anyone know the belt size as the existing one does not inspire confidence!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.