Howard Gem 800

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    digger-ralph
    Participant

I have a Howard Gem 800 that has been sitting on a trailer in our storage. Can anyone tell me what engine this is?

I believe it is a Sachs 2-stroke diesel, but It does not look like any of the engines I have seen on other Howard machines.

Managed to post a picture – at last!

Ralph.

Attachments:
    irc
    Participant

Ralph,

I have a Howard 700 with a Hirth 2stroke diesel engine.
    Not much fun todate, looking for someone who could help in renovating the engine to working status as I have no experience of diesel engine setups.

Ian

digger-ralph
    Participant

Hi Ian,

My 800 was my late farther-in-law’s. It was working (over 20 years ago) so it should not be too hard to get back into working order.

The 800 was a prototype that never made full production. This one came via my wife’s uncle who was senior management at Howard, back in the 1960s/70s. When the model was abandoned on cost grounds, the prototype machines were sold off.

The machine was used on the family ‘veg-patch’ where I have used it several times. I might add, that my father-in-law was a farmer, and he had a good 1/4 acre available on which to grow veg. I intend to renovate it to use on our allotment, and I suspect a few other plots. We have the plough attachment for it so hopefully I will get it going in time for next season.

Ralph

charlie
    Keymaster

Ralph, welcome to the forum. I am sure one of members with a good knowledge of Howard machines will be able to help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.