Howard Bullfinch Rotor Oil Seals

Home Forums General Help and information Howard Bullfinch Rotor Oil Seals

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Dear All

I have recently put together a Howard Bullfinch and it is working well. However it is losing oil at the two Rotor oil seals. Where can I get some from and are they easy to fit.

Also the JAP 2a is a wonderful little engine – anyone know where I can get a carburettor elbow from ? Muppet who let this machine get into a non-working condition lost the original.

Thanks

charlie
    Keymaster

If the seals are standard oil seals they should be obtainable from any good bearing and seal supplier. If you cannot see a reference number on the seal you will need to measure it.

andyfrost
    Participant

The seals , which are a special type are available on the well known auction site , albeit rather pricey. It would be worth calling Paul Childs at Meetens , they may have the elbow you require , failing that keep an eye on the auction site for a secondhand one.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks this is a real help.
    I take it that a bullfinch is the same as a 200 so the seals are the ones that cost £ 16.50 each.
    Brilliant website and forum
    Thanks again

andyfrost
    Participant

Yes , the seals are all the same in the small “centre drive” howards.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks again..

One last thing before I invest in the Seals – Are they easy to fit ?. Can I remove the rotors and get to the seals from the outside or do I have to take everything apart and replace them from the inside.

Thanks & Regards
    John

ct33731
    Participant

Hi can you send a picture of the original carburettor elbow as I have one here in good condition which was taken from a Jap 2a some 30 years ago. I tried with a pic, but it was too large and I am not to good on the old computer.Regards Chris @ ct.mowers@gmail.com

coxey1979
    Participant

I too have just got a bullfinch missing the elbow and drive belt and also leaking at the seals. Could anyone point me the direction of a manual? The Howard site throws up an error if you get past the safety warning. Also what is the rectangular loop near the engagement lever?

Take care and stay safe, Mike.

charlie
    Keymaster

Mike, you would be better starting a new topic rather than adding to this old one.

coxey1979
    Participant

Thanks Charlie, I thought I had but can’t see it anywhere, will try again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.