Hayter 26 wheel propelled

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Hayter 26 wheel propelled

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi and happy new year to all
    I really appreciate all the hard work that has gone into the new web site.
    I am hopeless with computers but thought I would post a picture of my latest
    mower saved from the scrapman to try it out
    It is a 1964 Hayter 26 wheel drive I have had many roller drive Hayter 26s but have only ever seen one wheel drive before.
    Does anyone know how many where made?

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the words of appreciation.
    It might be worth contacting Hayter regarding numbers, they were very helpful when I made enquiries about a manual for a very early (1959/1960) Hayterette. They were also very pleased to know it was still working.

vhgmcbuddy

Big change from your avatar photo to present. Well done, would have been a shame if it had gone for scrap.

hortiman
    Participant

I believe the model with the upright petrol tank was designed for bank work.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Hortiman yes I think you are correct.
    I think the idea was that the surface area of fuel was less to slosh around than a tank mounted horizontally and the tyres on the outside gave a large footprint and extra grip over the roller models.
    Some of the Villiers engines were also fitted with a sump adaptor to increase the amount of oil for continued use on banks.

If any members need any info or parts I have lots of detailed drawings on the Hayter 26 and would be happy to copy and post

fang11
    Participant

I’ve just acquired one of these, never seen any others, only a photo in a Hayter catalogue.

Would be interested to see what info you have on them

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

What information do you need? I have an instruction book and spare parts book for this model.

fang11
    Participant

Ok thanks, I should have a copy of that coming hopefully, Be interested to any sales info, it is in the “Hayter mowers for public authorities” catalogue I have, but I think they produced individual leaflets for these models as well

wristpin
    Participant

tyres on the outside gave a large footprint and extra grip over the roller models.

Quite often the machines being used on bank work were fitted with dual wheels.

andyfrost
    Participant

Lovely good old fashioned engineering , but sadly hopelessly underpowered.

Andy.

fang11
    Participant

The machine is listed in the catalogue as being for embankments, therefore has the vertical fuel tank and extra oil capacity

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.