Ginge ride on mower info

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ginge ride on mower info

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    carlharper
    Participant

Hi all I recently got a ginge ride on lawn mower off ebay. Not sure of engine size
    Have got engine running . just want some info. Thanks

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

Only ever seen Ginge side wheel push mowers! However, from the shape of the air cleaner the engine looks like a Tecumseh / Tecnamotor; I guess around 5HP. There’s no listing for them in the May 2012 Garden Machinery Price Guide – the last that I had before retirement.

EDIT
    Should have looked here first.
    Vhttp://vhgmc.co.uk/forums/topic/ginge-mower-info-please/

Ginge mowers and tools

dorigny
    Participant

Resting in the shed I have a Ginge 4 wheel steel deck push rotary which looks early/mid 70s. The steel deck is tired but the Tecumseh derived engine was a very long lived runner, gifted to me by a neighbour when he upgraded to a Honda HR17 a few years ago. It was in turn a replacement for his pre recoil starter Suffolk Colt which also lurks in the shed, along with its friends….

Clive.

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

When I wrote the article that Wristpin has kindly linked to, I think I got to about 1980 with research on Ginge in the UK, but then things get a bit sketchy. There’s been quite a lot of Ginge branded items over the last 40 years but sadly I have nothing to link items to such as brochures, adverts or an importer.

My notes say that Ginge did make the ride-on mower, but I don’t know when so never included it, but I guess it’s beyond the 1980’s. However didn’t Alko buy Ginge eventually? The Alko 620 (and the 700 model too) have a similar tubular method of construction to the Ginge ride-on although they have a different overall design ( I may be incorrect – but see how my thoughts wander!)

I’ve just seen a 1980’s UK Ginge brochure for sale on’t internet, it doesn’t have a ride-on mower listed in it, yet that doesn’t mean it wasn’t here then, it may just have had it’s own brochure.

wristpin
    Participant

Not relevant to the original post but the ride on under the tarp in the background is a Lawnflite 504 or 506. I’ve plenty of info on those !

carlharper
    Participant

Today got engine running and driving around the garden needs some tuning on carb.
    By the look at it pos 1960s. Tecumseh engine pos 5 to 6 hp. The other mower is a mtd. With 5hp briggs engine

wristpin
    Participant

The other mower is a mtd. With 5hp briggs engine

MTD / Lawnflite – the same thing in the UK

dorigny
    Participant

As it’s very much not a day for digging the garden, as I was doing yesterday, I’ve had a rummage and found some of the machinery directories from a former career..

Entry update 4/86 shows Ginge with Gardenflex Ltd at a Milton Keynes address, listing 2 handmowers, 2 rotary mowers and a petrol cylinder mower but no riders.

Update of 2/87 shows Gardenflex Ltd at a Newport Pagnall address with a longer list of machines including 4 ride-ons under the names Rider 5, Rider 6 and Rider 8. There’s a Rider 6 listed as a 26″ with 6hp Tecumseh recoil start.

Update 10/88, a much bigger range of machinery but only 3 ride-ons listed by model numbers 421/203292 and 422/203392.

By the last of my stock of old books, July 1989, with an update of 4/89 it shows Ginge listed under JT Lowe Ltd at the same Newport Pagnall address of earlier Gardenflex entries, with quite a range of machines but now only 2 ride-ons a 6hp and a 8hp both listed as elec start but no size info.

C.

dorigny
    Participant

Amazing what you end up finding on a wild windy day with time to sit at the keyboard..
    http://liberallawnmowers.com.pk/products/lawn-mowers/manual-lawn-mowers/ I’m off at a bit of a tangent here but there is a Ginge link to one of the side wheel push types.

C.

alan
    Participant

Clive,

Many thanks for the extra info on Ginge machines. I would never have found all that! I’ll update the Ginge article in due course.

The name J. T. Lowe does appear quite a lot with various machines, but I’ve not come across the GardenFlex name linked to Ginge before.

The link to the Liberallawnmowers website is really interesting. I see the mowers are in Pakistan. I looked at the copy of the Webb mower they have and thought it looked brilliant. Sadly postal charges might be high, though.

wristpin
    Participant

When I knew JT Lowe they were in Wimborne, Dorset and I believe that they ended up being bought by Flymo / Husqvarna.

dorigny
    Participant

Yes, I would always associate the name with Wimborne..
    In the old price guides by 1988 JT Lowe, Wimborne, had one Norlett cultivator in their entry. Previous year a listing was for 2 cultivators, 2 “handmowers” and a cement mixer and the (division of Flymo sales ltd) was no longer part of their title.
    During 1986 though it shows a full list of Partner, Norlett, Kawasaki engines.
    Partner was in 1987 listed under Partner UK, (a division of Hyett Adams).
    I always found it interesting piecing together the curious world of who owns who.

C.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.