Geo Monro Tiller S3

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Geo Monro Tiller S3

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jonturner
    Participant

Hi I am fortunate to have an S3 Monro tiller which my father gave to me some 40 years ago. He had bought 2 of these machines from different people at some time in the 10 years earlier. My machine is number 832736 and I have had it stored in a neighbors farm shed the last 20 years.
    I have serviced it and its running as well as ever except it is stuck in second gear!
    The gear lever always worked previously with all 3 gears and neutrals between I seem to remember you had to tap the gear lever in the direction you required and it worked very satisfactory.
    Please can you advise me on haw to fix this problem.

Thank you in advance,
    Jon Turner.

charlie
    Keymaster

Jon,machine 832736 was despatched on 15-12-58 from the factory.
    When you serviced the machine did you check/replace gearbox oil, it may have become contaminated with water caused by condensation within the gearbox. Note gearbox oil must be a straight gear oil not EP type as the additives in EP oils can attack the bronze worm gear. Castrol D or equivalent SAE 140 oil was recommended.
    You say it is stuck in second gear I assume the gear lever will not move, to me this would suggest the gear is stuck on the shaft, it should be possible to change gear on the move without using the clutch by a sharp movement of the lever.
    Do you have an owners manual, this includes illustrated parts list? If not I can supply one, send me a private message for details.

jonturner
    Participant

Hi Charlie, thank you for a great response.You are completely correct with the water in main gearbox and I have drained it during initial service but I have used hydro 32 to to flush and have now used the same at the moment, (I have used this oil in my Smart and brown 1024 lathe with excellent results). Do you recommend a thicker oil for the future? I would love to have a owners manual and parts list but on trying to send you a private message I need to pay for the membership which I have tried to do but for some reason there is no way of opening the uk single membership I can pay with paypal if you can advise what I am doing incorrectly.

Thank you,
    Jon.

jonturner
    Participant

Charlie, I have managed to pay my sub but still wont let me send a private message, will try again later.

Yours,
    Jon.

charlie
    Keymaster

Jon, you should be able to send pm now, membership payment received. I have sent you a pm.

charlie
    Keymaster

Jon,
    photos of gearbox internals showing gear selector mechanism. I would suspect the gear selector shaft MT569 may be rusted in the gear selector fork MT568. There is a spring and ball in the selector fork which might be rusted too, under the split pin. The only way to access these components is to split the gearbox, if you do this there is a nut and bolt underneath at front that is easy to miss, 9 fixings in total. The two halves will need gently persuading to come apart.

Attachments:
    jonturner
    Participant

Charlie, thank you for the photos most informative. The heads up on the hard to find fastening also extremely valuable. I will let you know what I find on stripping down.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.