Future Classics?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    trashed
    Participant

Having begun to restore my old Westwood Laser I started to wonder what the classics of the future might be. My Laser is built like a tank compared to the Stiga Tornado we currently use and there’s a lot of plastic on a Stiga which raises the question of whether it will last long enough to need restoring. So which machines of today are going to become the classics of the future?

alan
    Participant

That’s a good question!

Anything that’s a snapshot in time, so an item with box (small hand tools etc), with instructions, with an advert from the time and with price or receipt or some history.

I’d suggest anything unusual or anything from a small factory rather than a generic re-badged item from a massive churn-them-out factory. This is particularly true for future battery models, look back at potential futuristic machines from the 50’s and 60’s that hardly made production, are some of our items nowadays going to be short-run production items too?

In 2000 I bought a lawnmower cheap from Focus DIY as they were flogging them off for £99. I did at the time think of buying another one and putting it away, unused and in it’s box. Would it be worth £99 today 20 years on, the Briggs and Stratton engine would have been a good investment if it still worked! Although I have this nagging feeling that the steel deck would have rusted through and mice would have made a nest in the box!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.