Festival of Britain

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Festival of Britain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    andyfrost
    Participant

Read with interest Alans article on the Festival of Britain. My late Father made his one and only trip to London in his 94yrs(not much of a man for travelling very far) and that was when a fellow grower took him to the Festival of Britain. He often relayed to me what a wonderful exhibition it was…”everything that’s good about us boy” were his words.
    Being an AutoCulto owner he was drawn to Allen and Simmonds stand , and much admired their newly unveiled Festival model , which was launched to coincide with the event.He did mention there were dozens of Horticultural tractors there , but sadly when I quizzed him about them in his latter years he couldn’t remember exactly who they were.

Andy.

alan
    Participant

Andy, Many thanks for the information.

I have had a look and found information on the Festival Auto Culto. I have found an advert and have a photo from which the advert image was taken. I’ll attach both. I’m sure that if I look harder I’ll find some other manufacturers that attended.

The archives relating to the Festival are held by the National Archives at Kew, I’d like to have a look at those!

There are many references to horticultural groups and flower shows throughout the country having Festival of Britain theme events and shows.

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Alan , many thanks , lovely photos , there is still something special about an old black and white photo.

Andy.

charlie
    Keymaster

Another great article from Alan. Another show I know garden machinery manufacturers exhibited at was the Smithfield Show, archive records of which are held at MERL.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.