Cricket Grounds

Home Forums Groundcare Machinery Sporting Equipment Cricket Grounds

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    will-haggle
    Participant

I’ve got this book, well it’s not my only book! The title is Cricket Grounds, The Evolution, Maintenance and Construction of Natural Turf Cricket Tables and Outfields, by R.D.C.Evans. It covers everything you need to make a cricket ground. A neighbour gave it to me and it covers the history, the people, groundsmen, scientists, prep. of the wicket, weeds, moss pests and diseases. Most of all it has some fascinating period adverts of machinery. I’ll be putting a few in the Cultivator from time to time.

hdtrust
    Participant

Hi there Will, I think you will find that Roger (R D C Evans) co wrote the post war history of lawn mowers with me which appears on our web site http://www.hdtrust.org (2011) which is also the same peice which Wikipedia uses, as it carries our copy rite, then as you will realise any use of this peice for commercial reasons, should be at least acknowledged.
    Roger was the Librarian for many years at STRI (Sports Turf Research Institute)which I am also a past member.
    He is better known in the literary world for his book on the history of guns, one amazing man!
    Rogers own personnel collection of vintage related turf machinery is now held within The Hall & Duck Trust.
    Regards
    Andrew

will-haggle
    Participant

Cheers, Andy, this book is published by the STRI and was probably required reading for aspiring groundsmen.

hdtrust
    Participant

Try this book for size! Produced only in the USA, The Site Calculations, Pocket Reference (they have bid pockets over there!)
    It was extremely expensive at $54 but worth every penny, there’s not a day goes by without me using it. It covers for all eventualities, look what’s inside

Attachments:
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.