Coldwell Improved Excelsior

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements Coldwell Improved Excelsior

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi All
    New member here from Tasmania, Australia.

I have aquired a Coldwell Improved Exceleior made late 1800s early 1900s, looking for any information that I can find. I will post pictures once I have resized them.

Regards

Ian

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all

Please find attached photos of my Coldwell.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

Hello Ian

The only image I can find is of a 1905 advert. At the bottom is mentioned the Excelsior and Improved Excelsior. ‘The Excelsior was awarded first prize, Royal Horticultural Society, 1886; also first prize, Paris Int. Ex. 1889. Many additional advantages are included in the 1905 pattern of the Improved Excelsior’

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi Alan
    Thanks for that, so itlooks, like the name Inproved Excelsior was used on many different models. The model I have is small and defiantly a push mower and not a tow behind. The name Inproveed refers to to the cutting real being changed from 3 to 4 blades, this was to improve the cut on the softer UK lawn grasses.

Cheers

Ian

hdtrust
    Participant

Hi Ian
    Just picked your thread up.Please think about what I’m going to say,You said the improved was adding a blade to the cutting cylinder,you are right there but not because of grasses here in the UK,When your machine is sat out in Tasmania!.They altered the blades for New Zealand,their grasses have the same characteristics as ours. Coldwell sent many,many machines to your part of the world,far more than here.The reason is there was a tie with Shanks of Arbroath Scotland.
    If you need anymore help with the Coldwell,you may email me direct,through this site
    Kind regards
    Andrew
    Archivist
    The Hall & Duck Trust

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.