Clinton 3.5hp

Home Forums General Help and information Clinton 3.5hp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Does anyone know what size of belt pulleys should be fitted to Clinton 3.5hp tiller?

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

Although it may have a Clinton engine I would suspect that the chassis was made by someone else. Unfortunately your image quality is not good enough to aid identification .

dorigny
    Participant

I have newly discovered that a right click on the photo and then use open link in new tab opens up the image better which can then be enlarged further.

It is largely a Merry Tiller that has had a green repaint and lost its belt cover, drive box input pulley, engine pulley and the vital belt guide. It has an improvised transport wheel set from a n other tiller or home-bru.?

The engine pulley fitted looks to be camshaft drive so won’t be any use for this application.!!
    I wonder if the engine is ex a cement mixer ? as I think some used a cam shaft drive and the long exhaust may also match a former boxed in application.?

C.

dorigny
    Participant

I have realised that I should have written, first left click on thumbnail photo to open in forum viewer and then right click and open image in new tab to get enhanced view.

C.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for info, I found a Merry Tiller plate under a lot of paint but can not make out any details from it. It could well have been made from various donors over the years!!

J

wristpin
    Participant

Cam shaft drives on cultivators were used to give a half speed reverse and involved a lever system that disengaged the crankshaft drive main belt and allowed the engagement of reverse . Anyone who has used a forward only Cultivator and has had to manhandle it out of a corner, will appreciate the extra cost and complication of that reverse option.
    Assuming that the Clinton is in the same position as the more usual Briggs I have a chart with the various belt sizes. – somewhere !

dorigny
    Participant

That’s where our old Honda F400 used to win with its positive gearbox reverse to back out from having worked forward up to a wall of the walled garden.
    Reverse half speed makes sense, did MT use this system.? I have seen an old “back out” system of theirs on this chassis type that used a second large drive pulley drilled, bolted and spaced to the standard drive box pulley, taking drive from a fibre/rubber disc mounted on engine crankshaft pulley..but by the time the machine landed in my shed though only the drive disc, second large pulley and lever remained, all the rest had been lost in its previous history 🙁

C.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.