Classic Hayter

Home Forums General Help and information Classic Hayter

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    monty
    Participant

Hi all, anybody any idea of the manufacture year of this outstanding vintage Hayter?

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

It may be worth contacting Hayter with the machine serial number they may be able to help.
    I have a very similar machine which I still use, not in such good condition.

will-haggle
    Participant

The engine number should give you the date to the day when the engine was built. Their website should help to decipher it. https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en_gb/home.html

hillsider
    Participant

I doubt that Briggs and Stratton will be much help if the engine shown in the photo is the one in question. The engine shown is a European (Italian) built Tecumseh the Tecumseh manual that I have only seems to give engine dating information for American built engines.

wristpin
    Participant

Hi all, anybody any idea of the manufacture year of this outstanding vintage Hayter?

No disrespect but it’s neither outstanding or vintage. It’s a bottom of the range 16” Harrier with the cheap engine option , correctly identified by Hillsider. Could even be the down specced version sold through the Sheds or mail order outfits.

charlie
    Keymaster

What is vintage? A 1980’s machine could be 30-40 years old now.
    If this mower is that old then it is in very good condition.

alan
    Participant

I know someone who has one of those Hayters mowers with the Tecumseh engine but with electric start – it may be a slightly different model/spec but it’s similar. I have to say it’s not in as good condition as the image by the original poster.

As Charlie has mentioned; What is vintage? I’d also add that some of the lower-spec machines of any manufacturer can, but not always, be the rarest. I’ve often wondered how many mass-produced mowers, rotavators or tractors were made – was it in the hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands?

dorigny
    Participant

I have a low-ish serial number model 306 Harrier 41 autodrive and that I believe to be 1989.
    Mine has the finger trigger height adjuster not a screw type as on the machine in photo. It does though have the same engine. No OPC, which I believe was reqd by 1995.

I also have a Harrier 48 from 1987, which has the height adjuster similar in operation to the type on the machine in photo and has lost its adjusting knob, the same, leaving just a hexagon.. The rear flap is of the same style as my 1987 48cm mower, with the triangular ends overhanging the chassis side.

So I will have a stab at 1987/88..unless, as suggested, a model has been assembled at another time to suit a “Shed” price, but still pre 1995.

C.

charlie
    Keymaster

The one I have was electric start, but I have not bothered replacing the battery which died years ago. It has the screw type height adjuster.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.