Chippenham Vintage Machinery Club

Home Forums General Help and information Chippenham Vintage Machinery Club

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    franktonpaget
    Participant

I wonder if anyone can help me on this club, do they still exist ?
    They published a small book in 1985 written by Paul S Weaver on William Colbourne Cambridge 1807-1869, Implement maker of Lavington Wiltshire and subsequently Bristol.
    He was the original patentee for the “Cambridge roll”.
    Any assistance would be appreciated, I have had a set of cast roll frames rescued from a scrapman many years ago and doing a bit of research during lockdown

regards Joe Paget

will-haggle
    Participant

I’ve put your reques in the Cultivator, Joe, I’ve put some feelers out on Facebook but nothing yet. Having done a search on Google I found a link to Lavington….
    A William Cambridge jar

franktonpaget
    Participant

Thanks for your response, it is quite surprising how many of these early makers developed and Cambridge moved to Bristol because of transport links and he was selling his products to overseas.

I had always thought the Cambridge roll took its name from where the design had originated like the Essex wagon.
    I have another cast roll end made by Alexanders of the Corrinium Iron Works Cirencester, I obtained a copy of a sales catalogue from Reading and discovered they produced all manner of steam powered equipment including stationary engines and traction engines and yet you never see them mentioned in magazines or see surviving machines.I never think of Cirencester as a industrial area but when we had a empire you realise the market it gave to British Industry and the references to “colonial pattern” in catalogues.

The pandemic is a miserable time and I have missed the events and social interaction but I suppose like many others I have taken the opportunity to have a good sort out, progress with that restoration, do a bit of research and look forward that 2021 will be better and some interesting machines will emerge on completion.

franktonpaget
    Participant

Thank you for your assistance
    I had a thought and contacted Jim Wilkie, he told me the Chippenham Club was one of the NVTEC regional clubs but folded about 20 years ago, but he did not remember anybody of that name or the publication

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.