Can you identify this gearbox? MBA…

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Can you identify this gearbox? MBA…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

So, it appears that I have bought myself an “MBA” something or other. It took me just 20 minutes of chatting, but I know that others study for two years. 🙂 Multiple parts including the main gearbox housing have MBA followed by a number code.

It’s a 2-speed gearbox (approximately 1/4 or 1/8 gear ratio) of unknown provenance. The previous owner assumed it could be from a scythe, or less likely a rotovator. There are some linkages which to me look like those of a rotovator, but I could be wrong. Easily.

I am interested to know whether anyone recognizes the MBA “brand” if that is what it is.

The gearbox itself is in excellent condition and my plan is to reuse it in a home-brewed machine. The tyres were beyond bad but I think I could salvage the hubs if need be. To me, the wheels/tyres looked very wrong (much too small) and the tyres were marked 3.50-7 if I recall correctly. That appears to be an unusual size – maybe you could confirm? I would prefer something with much greater clearance. The hubs are split rims and it looks like I could fabricate something to attach the keyed part to new hubs if necessary.

I’m new to this forum and have no idea whether to expect any replies. If you are reading this and would like more info / pictures then please let me know.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

It might possibly be helpful to mention that at least some of the screw threads are UNF.

vhgmcbuddy

It would also be incredibly useful if someone could suggest a specific oil for this gearbox. I was under the impression that EP oils might best be avoided but I have also been told that EP GL-4 oils are perfectly fine, even with bronze gears (assuming it might have them – I don’t know), but not GL-5.

Maybe someone could advise? I’ll probably be along with some more questions as I think of them.

Thanks.

andyfrost
    Participant

To me it looks like the drive system from a Ransomes Multimower.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Andy,

That’s so helpful! I have now Googled Ransomes Multimower gearbox and found an identical unit for sale. Further Googling suggests it can be no earlier than 1963. Another website suggests SAE140 for the gearbox — would this sound right?

Brian

vhgmcbuddy

Correction — I have now found the service manual. Gearbox oil is SAE 40.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wsg58gl3g7j4q7/Ransomes%20multimower0001.pdf

wristpin
    Participant

Many Ransomes part numbers have the prefix MBA. In your case it will identify the casting that makes up the gearbox rather than the whole unit. Certainly looks like a Multimower gearbox.

charlie
    Keymaster

Gearbox oils. GL-4 is OK for gearboxes that have brass components, mixed opinion about GL-5, some say yes some say no. I have Monro Tiller rotavators which use SAE140 in gearbox. Morris Oils of Shrewsbury do a good range of classic oils.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Now I have to figure out what to do with the wheels. The rims are in poor condition but could be made good if necessary. 3.50-7 appears to be a difficult tyre to find (I’d prefer an aggressive tread pattern) so I may have to fabricate an adapter plate that will allow me to use a common and economical wheel size.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.