Can anyone identify this

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Can anyone identify this

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi can anyone identify this old mountfield rotavator for me. I’m trying to get it up and running.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Looks like a Mounfield M1 with the covers missing to me, I have been wrong before though haha.

Liam

vhgmcbuddy

I thought it looked older than an m1 it doesn’t look like it has any covers missing

vhgmcbuddy
    vhgmcbuddy

Awesome mate cheers. Any ideas where I can get spare parts like spark plugs etc

charlie
    Keymaster

Any good garden machinery repair shop or motor factors should be able to supply the correct spark plug so long as you know what it should be, take old one as sample. What is the engine Briggs & Stratton?

vhgmcbuddy

I think it maybe a kirby lauson engine. The spark plug isn’t a problem to get hold of I just wondered if there was any where good to look for other spare parts.

wristpin
    Participant

Looks like a Kirby which was a Tecumseh made in Australia. Mountfield used them on rotary mowers and cultivators and Flymo used their 2-stroke on the 19 and 22” Contractors.
    A spark plug will be easy but anything else like hen’s teeth.
    I believe that the UK OEMs used them as with OZ being a Commonwealth country there was a more favourable rate of duty than when buying from the US.

vhgmcbuddy

Don’t suppose you can point me in the right direction to find out more info on the engine

wristpin
    Participant

I’ll see what I have but for all the usual service settings, points gap, valve clearances and Fixings torques, you won’t be far out with using those of the equivalent Tecumseh or Aspera of the day.

charlie
    Keymaster

I have a 38 page Mechanics Handbook for Kirby Lauson 4 stroke engines,it will take a while to scan the entire book. Let me know if you would like a copy (pdf file).

vhgmcbuddy

That would be brilliant Charlie but it’s alot of effort for you to go to.

charlie
    Keymaster

Once it is scanned I will have it saved for the future. If you send your e mail address to the VHGMC e mail address vhgmc@btinternet.com I will pick it up.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.