Batric

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    alan
    Participant

I’ve had a query regarding Batric of Stroud and their 12V machines. Does anyone recall them?

@nemode these images may help you, they are both from 1970.

Attachments:
    joegrgraham
    Participant

I’ve personally never heard of them, but I know the address, I’ll make some enquiries. Might be worth contacting the Museum in the Park at Stratford Park in Stroud (when they reopen), they certainly hold records on Budding, Ferrabee etc.

joegrgraham
    Participant

A quick Google shows that the company were also know as Braune of Stroud, and Batricar Ltd.
    The main business, certainly in the mid 70s was inavlid/mobility cars. They seem to have had a reasonable presence in the USA.
    For interest, Griffin Mill is now an antique centre, an artist studio and a paint manufacturer.

charlie
    Keymaster

I seem to remember there was a Batric offered for sale in our club magazine last year and Alan Rogers saw it at the South Cerney show.

alan
    Participant

Thanks for the replies and useful info.

I’ve had another look. Batric adverts indicate that they were making electric powered machines back in the 1960’s and were still selling them into the 1980’s. Indeed it does appears mobility scooters etc became a main avenue in the 1970’s and beyond and were a great success.

Thanks for the info on Braune of Stroud (whom I did not know about) appears they made agricultural and horticultural machinery stuff too.

A few photos added. I’ll make a Batric page in the gallery for them all.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi there

Thanks for the replies.
    Very useful info!

The inventor Braune Rudi Helmut seems to have been quite ahead of his time when it came to electric personal vehicles.

The whole thing is incredibly simple, just a 12 volt battery , some form of dc starter motor and a battery charger. there are four mechanical switches controlled by brake wire going to hand levers which change the which direction the motor spins. and simple chain drive with locking disk brake.

Very well built but very simple (like all the best things) . You could fix anything on it easy – not that it looks like you’d ever need too!!

i have sent an email with photos to vhgmc@btinternet.com – i hope thats the right one?

Thanks again

Sam

vhgmcbuddy

Very pleased you maneged to dig up a picture of the plough!

I think im going to be hard pushed to find an original replacement but i think i can fabricate something close from the picture!

I also plan on giving it a good clean up, i would like to restore paintwork and clean up rust, i quite like the original patina / aged look though – so not sure how far to go with it , any advice there would be great

Bearings on the wheels and axel could poss do with a once over too.

vhgmcbuddy

@alan
    did the photos i’d sent come through?

charlie
    Keymaster

Yes I have received the photos, now uploaded to post.

Attachments:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.