Barford trailer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I’m on the look out for a trailer for my Atom. I can’t find any plans on line to fabricate one. I’m assuming they are like hens teeth.
    Any creative ideas?
    Chris

hybridv8
    Participant

I could give you some dimensions by measuring mine and some photos if it helps but I cant do it for a couple of weeks as I’m away to Scotland till after easter,but you are welcome to photos and dimensions,if you are near Swindon you can come after easter and take photos yourself.

will-haggle
    Participant

Here’s a picture of Ron Manners’ trailer. I believe they may have been made by Charlton Kings Engineering in Cheltenham. That firm made the Merry Truck. I say this because many of the features of the Atom trailer were common to the Merry Tiller one.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks guys – no rush on the photos it will be an autumn project. The summer is dedicated to make ing a log splitter to run off the atom
    C

wristpin
    Participant

In the absence of the real thing, if you can pick up a Saxon or SCH trailer for the right money you’ll be more than half way there and unless you already have steel and wheels etc probably won’t cost any more.
    As far as the log splitter goes are you thinking hydraulic or mechanical?

will-haggle
    Participant

Just to complete my post, this is the Charlton Kings Engineering spec. sheet. The 10cwt Merry Tiller Truck is most like the Barford one. I think they made trailers for garden tractor….

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Ref the splitter – I am going to set up a belt driven screw type table arrangement. There are loads of examples on YouTube driven by washing machine motors so how hard can it be…?

charlie
    Keymaster

There are two versions of the Barford trailer the flat bed with sides or a dump trailer, from memory both use a similar chassis although the flat bed has different wheels with brakes.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

hi the splitter could be easy,as I saw a log splitting head mounted onto a car rear axel and that was the power drive to make it rotate and split the logs. Maybe one fitted to an atom wheel jacked up clear of ground would do the same thing.

vhgmcbuddy

Oh wow! I’m in love! That tipper trailer is exactly what I need. I move a lot of stone walling and that would be ideal. Any ideas where a chap could lay his hands on one?
    C

vhgmcbuddy

The splitter I am building is an augur type and will be belt driven using the atom as the power source.
    C

charlie
    Keymaster

Barford trailers, flat bed or tipping are a bit like hens teeth and rocking horse S~*t. A well known online auction site much used by our members is where I got mine from. The dump trailers are prone to rusting out at the bottom as they fill with water if left outside.

vhgmcbuddy

hi chris is it a screw type splitter your making on a bench if so it will need a reduction box as it will run to quick an you will get nowere fast they are not for the faint hearted as i no by trial an error i made one with a 5hp honda engine far to quick it would break your arm before you can say [–it] but a reduction box engine works fine they split for fun but if logs are still green it will just keep boreing an wont spilt also a jockey wheel on the belts for tension so they can be released quickley an a very important cut off switch very close to hand once made they are far better than a hydraulic one me thinks

vhgmcbuddy

Hi
    If someone had one of those tipping trailers for a Barford Atom what might it be worth?
    As I have one!!!!!!!!!!

charlie
    Keymaster

As we always say it is only worth what someone is willing to pay, put it on e-bay and see what you get.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.