Atco Ride-On Lawnmower

Home Forums General Help and information Atco Ride-On Lawnmower

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    richfinn42
    Participant

Can anyone help with a manufacturing date for an ATCO ride-on lawnmower model 28L by Charles H Pugh? it has a kick start Villiers four stoke engine with a flywheel magneto and aluminium rollers and has a Brookes leather saddle for a seat.

hdtrust
    Participant

Hi
    Please add a photo of your machine, it always helps when identifying it
    Regards
    Andrew

wristpin
    Participant

Please add a photo of your machine, it always helps when identifying it

Hear, hear! Why are so many looking for help but reluctant to make it easier to give it. Always the possibility that the seat belongs to a different make of mower.

charlie
    Keymaster

It sounds like a normal ATCO motor mower with ride on/trailed seat rather than a true ride on mower.

ted20
    Participant

the possible reason some members ( like myself ) find it too difficult or time consuming to clart on shrinking photos other sites I use CAN use full size photos not everyone is a nerd with a computer

wristpin
    Participant

the possible reason some members ( like myself ) find it too difficult or time consuming to clart on shrinking photos other sites I use CAN use full size photos not everyone is a nerd with a computer

With respect, if the questioner finds it too time consuming to supply the clues, why should he/she expect others to “ consume their time” trying to assist?

charlie
    Keymaster

There is a reason for limiting photo file size; server storage capacity and the subsequent cost of having more, which would have to be paid for. Larger files will also take longer to upload and open when viewed.
    There is a guide to reducing photo file size in the Help and Information section of the forum at https://vhgmc.co.uk/forums/topic/compressing-photo-files-using-ms-office-picture-manager/
    It is a very simple operation.

alan
    Participant

Re photos size, I’ll add that using the in-built Snipping Tool in Windows is a good way to reduce the data size of photos. It can be found by searching for Snipping Tool through the Windows start menu. Once the cursor has been dragged around the photo or relevant area that you want, then it can be saved with a suitable filename.

richfinn42
    Participant

Sorry did add a photo but must have been too large so trying again

Attachments:
    hdtrust
    Participant

Hi
    Thanks for sharing the picture, although small (its amazing what a large magnifying glass can do)
    Your model on that frame started life in 1948, then the engine would have been a 147 cc Atco-Villiers two stroke.
    Yours is later, the first year they put your style engine on the 28 inch was 1960.Your engine by the way is an Atco-Villiers Mk 25, 4 stroke, cooled by fan and cowl. The carb if original should be Atco-Villiers, Single lever control. Fitted with air strangler for assisting engine starting when cold.
    Looking at your petrol tank, that shape is post 1964, pre 1964 the tank had round, domed ends, so if the tank is original to the mower its then post 1964.
    Your machine should have a square plate attached to this side, where the top hanger is for the grass box, I cannot see it from your picture, but if there, I should be able to date the frame from the numbers stamped on it.
    Your roller seat appears correct, except for the actual seat, the brooks is wrong, it should be a pressed steel seat, which might be a little more comfortable around the nether regions when going over uneven ground! The Brooks would be better placed back on the cycle it came off!
    Hope this has helped
    Regards Andrew

hdtrust
    Participant

Nothing like a picture to help, try these two for size. They are from The Hall & Duck Trusts library – enjoy
    Regards
    Andrew

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

I was holding back with a query in the hope that someone with more knowledge would ask the same question or supply the answer.
    The OP describes the machine as an L28. I assume that the 28 refers to the width of cut but all my parts books, albeit for Mk25 engined machines, use the L for 34” machines and a J for 28” machines. The Brooks (with no E) saddle was not the sole preserve of motor cycles; the early belt driven Webb 24s with the Villiers 150cc Lightweight engine were fitted with them as original equipment – my father-in-law had one – and I believe that the Anzani Powermow also used a Brooks.

hdtrust
    Participant

Hi Angus
    I think you will find the original seat for the Webb 24 inch was by Terry, but you are correct on Anzani
    Best Wishes
    Andrew

andyfrost
    Participant

Incase you’re concerned over engine spares , your engine is standard Villiers the carb is a little more obscure , but parts are readily avilable , as are all other engine internals , gaskets etc.
    The Mk25 is a very common engine , fitted to countless horticultural/industrial equipment , and had no ties to Atco , other than they were just another customer.

Andy.

richfinn42
    Participant

Many thanks one and all for your information, much appreciated.

Richard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.