Aspera HL30

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sidevalve44
    Participant

I have just bought a Landmaster 88 with Aspera motor. There is no spark so it would appear the coil is faulty, and unlike a B&S engine the coil assembly is inside the flywheel.
    I had no trouble undoing the flywheel nut but, am now stuck as to how to remove the flywheel itself.
    It’s an aluminium flywheel, so a 3 legged puller is out of the question. That leaves shocking it off. If that is the case, how hard do you hit the end of the crank and how much leverage do you have to apply to the flywheel. Always seems a rather brutal way to do it !

wristpin
    Participant

Ideally you would use a Knock Off tool which is a lump of metal that screws onto the crank in place of the nut. Screw it fully on, back it off one turn the give it a sharp tap with a fair size hammer while either applying moderate leverage to the fly wheel . If the engine is loose from the chassis I take the weight of the lump by gripping the flywheel in one hand a smiting the knock off tool with the other – the weight of the lump is enough without leverage. Knock off tools are still available and not expensive. If you have, or know a man with a lathe, it’s not difficult to make one.
    You can do the same using the flywheel nut but there is a risk.

Some Aspera / Tecumseh flywheels have three untapped holes near the centre to take the self tapping screws from the manufacturer’s puller – quite easy to duplicate with a bit of scrap and three Taptite screws used by various manufacturers for assembling machines – always save them when scrapping anything that uses them.

A selection of knock offs from my tool box – no duplicates !

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

One of the extra long deep nuts that join allthread together will do just fine.

Andy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.