ALLEN Wheel Trim strimmer

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines ALLEN Wheel Trim strimmer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mickwhitt
    Participant

Hi all.
    Just bought an Allen Wheel Trim wheeled strimmer which has a Honda vertical shift 4 stroke engine. It seems to be out of adjustment on max revs and I suspect the governor may have been played with.
    Does anyone know how to set the governor shift correctly. On the Kohker you hold the throttle lever hard closed and turn the governor shift to its stop before tightening the pinch bolt. I assume its similar on the Honda.
    Can’t fine a manual for this machine on line even though its a 2003 manufactured machine. Anyone have one available?
    Regards mick.

wristpin
    Participant

Kohler is a bad example to choose as they used two different governor setting procedures, one of which contradicted the “ usual”system found on most other engines.
    On most engines one slackens the the clamp screw between the governor spindle and arm, manually moves the throttle spindle to full speed, turns the governor spindle in the direction that would fully open the throttle, and then does up the clamp.
    That is the exact opposite to what you have described but is, I believe, correct for your Honda.

mickwhitt
    Participant

Thanks for the information Wristpin.
    I’m not sure what is happening. Starts on choke and runs well but as soon as I drop the throttle lever to the Hare run position it runs poorly, very little difference between that and the Tortoise idle setting.
    Maybe just a carb clean is in order.
    I will do that and then look at the governor as I can’t see that having been disturbed.
    Best regards Mick

wristpin
    Participant

If you can access the top of the carb, try moving the throttle spindle directly by hand. If the engine then works as it should it suggests that someone has messed with the governor spring.
    One of the weirder things that I’ve come across was a Generac generator that wouldn’t respond to the throttle. After a bit of head scratching we found that the screw holding the throttle butterfly to the spindle has worked loose and disappeared through the engine leaving the butterfly propped up in the Venturi, doing nothing. That screw had passed through the engine doing no damage and without a trace. No so lucky was another similar generator belonging to the same customer where the screw had jammed between the exhaust valve and it’s seat. That customer’s business was re-pointing brick work and he had six generators powering angle grinders, removing the old mortar and those gennys took a pasting. After the above incidents we found a way of peening the end of the screws over so that they couldn’t fall out.

mickwhitt
    Participant

The governor seems to be functioning ok. But the engine will only run on full choke, not idle or run setting.
    The air inlet system for the pilot jet looks pretty critical and the seat face of the plastic air filter housing is warped so I suspect its letting in excess air. New housing on order.
    Also the metal throttle/choke mounting is bent all out of shape, so straightening that and ensuring proper operation may also reap rewards.
    There is tons of into on the web about the GCV135 engine as its a staple on lawn mowers.i will report any improvements in running.
    Mick

mickwhitt
    Participant

OK the faults I suspected were borne out by replacing the carb, replacing the warped air filter housing and straightening the throttle bracket.
    These actions cured the problems and I now have an engine that runs beautifully.
    The carb had been messed with and the pilot screw anti tamper cap had been forced off, most advice was to replace the carb rather than try to replace this screw. And cost wise it was a good idea.
    I replaced the cutting head with an alloy one from husqvarna with fixed 4mm square line. It cuts like a demon. Picked up a 122m spool of 4mm line for £30 so I’m set for cutting.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Mick

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.