Allen Scythe Tyres Question

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Allen Scythe Tyres Question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all,

Went to my local tyre place yesterday to get some new tyres for my Allen Scythe, which is now almost ready to go. The guy there, who has given me excellent service in the past, tells me that it needs special vintage tyres. From stuff I’d read I felt sure motorbike front tyres for scrambling would be what I needed but he says the beads are different. He suggested I buy the tyres and bring them down to be fitted. I’ve looked on a few sites but haven’t found anything. Am I right that other people have used motorbike tyres and if so, have you had any problems? I’m expecting to have to fit tubes but I feel in a weak position to argue with the guy who is, in theory, an expert. He knew what an Allen Scythe was and waxed lyrical about the one his Dad had so he wasn’t just trying to get rid of me!

Best regards, Iain

vhgmcbuddy

Fitted tyres from trails bike on my machine, bit tight and with a bit of soap they popped on fine.

Graham.

vhgmcbuddy

I thought that was the case. Thanks for that, did you fit them yourself?

charlie
    Keymaster

The original tyres were specific to the Allen Scythe I believe, as the lugs on the edge were different, longer on one side of the tyre. Never heard anyone say anything about the beads been different. I know car wheels are different for tube or tubeless fitting but thought the beads were the same.

ted20
    Participant

your tyre fitter is talking rubbish I get my tyres from China Parts at Burnopfield, co Durham who do an excellent mail order and they are very close tread pattern and have no problem fitting myself

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Ted 20. Definitely motorbike tyres then. You might all wonder why I haven’t bought some from George at Villiers – he’s out of stock due to supply problems related to Coronavirus.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.