Allen scythe renovation

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Allen scythe renovation

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Iain mine has a large amount of slop in the blade drive slot and when I offer it up to any grass longer than a couple of inches the bar jumps out of the slot!

Attachments:
    ted20
    Participant

looking at picture 2 i would say possibly your fingers want closing the part where the blade slides should just clear the blade also the blade keeps could be out of adjustment that could be why it is jumping and not cutting properly

vhgmcbuddy

I’m not quite understanding the cutter bar is tight down to the lower blade the drive arm sits too high though

trusty220
    Keymaster

If you look at the second picture you will see that there is a gap between the top of the finger and the underside of the sliding knife. To achieve a clean cut without jamming the gap needs to be closed up- at the moment it will be the same as using a pair of scissors with the pivot screw undone.

To adjust the gap you normally slide the moving knife out of the side of the cutter bar and stretch a piece of string across the fingers where the knife slides, then you can bend the fingers up or down so that the cutting edges just touch the string. In theory, when you replace the sliding knife you will achieve a smooth scissor action on each side of every finger. It takes a bit of time to get it right but you will find a world of difference once you’ve done it. At present it will be like cutting wet cardboard with a blunt pair of scissors- it just doesn’t work!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.