Allen Scythe plug type

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Allen Scythe plug type

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all,
    Having some trouble getting my Allen Scythe to run after it standing for a couple of months. Tested the plug to find it had no continuity, despite having done only about half an hour’s work. Replaced it with an NGK equivalent Whigs has got continuity but I’m not getting a spark. The engine is an 11c, the original plug was a champion uk10. Coil lead, condenser, coil are all new, points seem fine and we’re working before – any ideas why there’s no spark? Have I got the right plug?
    Suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers,

Iain

vhgmcbuddy

Could be your coil had packed up? New one is easily got, I found one on ebay just be sure you compare dimensions as there was two sizes available.

vhgmcbuddy

Better not be the coil, its brand new! I’ll be striping it down today so I’ll test the coil anyway.

wristpin
    Participant

Remove the plug cap / connector and hold the plug lead quarter of an inch from a bare metal surface while briskly rotating the engine. If a spark jumps that gap, the coil, points and condenser are fine and your issue is with the plug or connector.

vhgmcbuddy

Finally got a spark after rotating the engine with a drill. Plug out but earthed. Got a tiny glow in my neon tester at first, kept going and the spark got bigger until it was clearly visible at the plug. Engine started after with little problem. I read about this method on the web, not sure how it works but it did the trick for me!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.