Allen scythe access to magneto

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Allen scythe access to magneto

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rowan-bradley
    Participant

Yet another question about the Allen scythe model T with the Villiers 25c engine. How do I get access to the ignition system (coil, contact breaker, capacitor etc.)? It seems that I have to remove the cooling cowl. How do I do that? I have removed the two bolts into the cylinder head, but it doesn’t move, and I can’t see any other fixings.
    Also I presumably have to remove the starter pulley, which means that I have to find a way of holding the motor shaft to prevent it rotating when I try to undo the two bolts holding the pulley. I think I have improvised a way of doing this that hopefully won’t break the pulley.
    Thank you – Rowan

andyfrost
    Participant

The cowling has three further bolts , that go through the magneto backplate and into the cowling, one is as “2o’clock” one at “10 o’clock” and one at “6 o’clock”.

Andy.

charlie
    Keymaster

If the flywheel is removed the magneto timing will need to be reset see below for adjusting points, timing instructions and how to remove flywheel.

Attachments:
    rowan-bradley
    Participant

Thank you for that. Does anyone know how to remove the starter pulley, which seems to need to be removed before the cowl can be removed. I have undone the two bolts in the middle of it, but what do I need to do then? I don’t want to put too much force on it, or to hit it with a hammer, since judging by the number of machines that I have seen with the pulley broken, it must be pretty fragile.
    Thank you – Rowan

rowan-bradley
    Participant

I got the cowl off thank you having removed those three extra bolts, and I got the starter pulley off. I had to buy a puller, and then I had to buy a longer central bolt for the puller, but after that it came off without too much trouble. Still got to get the flywheel off (waiting for delivery of the special Villiers Hammertite spanner). Then hopefully I will be able to see what’s wrong with the ignition!

Thank you – Rowan

kevm
    Participant

To get the flywheel off you just undo the centre bolt and keep undoing it – pop.
    Don’t break the flywheel fins.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.