A little Quiz Atco at 60

Home Forums General Help and information A little Quiz Atco at 60

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hdtrust
    Participant

Its raining again out there! So been in the library, I found this old photo which was in an old Atco brochure for 1982,celebrating their 60th year in grass cutting.
    The photo I hope is nearly legible, it comes from the famous story of when the donkey died,Atco developed their Atco Motor mowers.
    After much research I have identified the estate to where the photo was taken, now no longer there.
    The story goes that the donkey mower was used on the estates lawn tennis court, to which all the boundary walls had high wire netting on due to the fact that in the 1920’s the Ladies were prone to play in the nude!
    The estate was in Yorkshire and was called Wallingfield,now covered with modern housing.
    I believe that one of the characters in the shot is that elusive author Thomas !!!
    I have already discounted the donkey!
    So which one is he?

Kind regards
    Andrew
    The Hall & Duck Trust

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Charlie tells me that he’s the one with the big ears. Am I right?

alan
    Participant

I thought it was Noddy that was with Big Ears?

Does that mean Noddy had a mower and a gardening round? Suppose fame has to fade eventually and gardening is something to fall back on.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Admittedly, Big Ears was a friend of Noddy but it appears that there may have been a bit of a falling out and Noddy has now made friends with Eeyore. Changing authors in mid-fame is quite an unusual strategy but it does keep the story line fresh.

hdtrust
    Participant

The character with the big ears, is not the right answer, I’ll give you a clue, the donkey’s name was Ben.
    Just for the record yes Big ears did have a falling out with Noddy, Owing to Noddy pinching all the lamps in the street for a party around his gaff for his friend Tessa (This I remember vividly, when my Mother use to read to me) And before I get the comment, that was many year ago!

Must try harder
    Best Andrew

alan
    Participant

Perhaps Noddy employed Eeyore to pull a mower around the lawns then? Which would’ve been a fantastic photo opportunity for Atco with all the celebrity endorsements that go on.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I never realised you were there as well, and I never realised that Noddy took the blame for it either. I was under the impression it was a certain hairy individual who resides in rural Lincolnshire.

Happy days back in Holbeach with the Fenland Ladies!

alan
    Participant

Having mulled this over, I have decided this is like one of those TV episodes of CSI (or whatever) where they get instant results by spurious methods.

My answer, based on no factual evidence whatsoever, is that Thomas certainly is in the photo. Based on TV crime-solving theory, Thomas is taking the photo. A nearby glasshouse has reflected his image and this can be seen reflected in the left eye of the donkey in the photo.

Do you think CSI or even Hetty Wainthropp will be calling me soon to offer me a job? Hetty Wainthropp…there’s a force to be reckoned with.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Yes, she would have given the Fenland Ladies a run for their money in her day, she was a great party lass. You could say that she held up the Yorkshire end for quite some time!

Aaahh, happy days!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.