2 stroke Allen Scythe

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines 2 stroke Allen Scythe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have bought an Allen Scythe in need of large amounts of tlc. My main problem at the moment is no spark. Have got cover, cooling fins off but not sure about removing flywheel. Undid the nut but after a turn or so it went tight. Didn’t want to keep going without knowledge as to correct procedure. It’s going to cost a lot to get it going and I don’t want to make it worse by breaking something.

charlie
    Keymaster

Vic, the nut should go tight as it starts to pull the flywheel off the taper on the crankshaft, this is normal for Villiers engines. Just be careful it does not pull centre out of flywheel I had this happen once. The fun is getting it back, setting the timing and getting the nut tight again. Don’t be tempted to use fins to lock flywheel.

andyfrost
    Participant

“Undid the nut but after a turn or so it went tight.” ,

That’s perfectly normal , just keep undoing the nut , the idea being it acts as a self puller ,best to use a PRECISE fitting socket and bar, you may find that you will need a hammer to initially get it moving.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you both, I did suspect that but much happier now. Don’t go away I have feeling I’ll be back again. Cleaning and derusting the cutter bar at the moment. Can’t remember now which engine it was but I’d never consider using cooling fins again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.