When is a Land Rover not a Land Rover?

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion When is a Land Rover not a Land Rover?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Answer:- When it’s in the movies!
    Charlie and myself attended a meeting today for the Federation of British Vehicle Clubs which was held at the Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon. Funnily enough, that’s where the AGM is, so here’s a sneak preview.
    By the way, don’t ever get Charlie (no, my MIDDLE name is Land Rover) Moore started on Land Rovers because you will be there all day. One of the displays is for the “Shaun the Sheep” film and has the farmer’s Land Rover there; apparently it was built on an 80″ chassis to which was added cut down Series 2 bodywork. It even has six-stud wheels off a forward-control 101- need I say more?
    If you wish to attend the AGM please could I remind you to bring your club membership card, otherwise the security on the gate won’t let you in.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Cracking photo’s Grommit.

stevewoollas
    Participant

This must be seventh heaven for Charlie.
    “Moore Landrover Charlie?”

stuart
    Participant

One of my neighbours has an old 1950,s ?? Landrover which has a Rolls Royce petrol engine fitted in it from new.

charlie
    Keymaster

stuart, the army had a few built to trial and found they were no better. The engine, a Rolls Royce B40 as used in the Austin Champ, cost as much as a complete Land Rover. The front axle of the Land Rover was moved forward an inch to make room for the engine, making it an 81 inch rather than 80 inch. I see Bonhams sold one a couple of years ago.

stuart
    Participant

I remember he lifted the bonnet up and showed me a plaque (either on the engine or on the bodywork……I cant quite remember now) but it definitely stated B40 now you mention that model Charlie.Its possible his is “the other surviving example” if Bonhams sold one.
    My neighbour is a Landrover collector so he knows what it is and its rarity.

dave
    Participant

Two English icons. Charlie and Landrovers.

autophil
    Participant
    will-haggle
    Participant

When it’s a bicycle! We’ve got one of these at Jole Rider in Tetbury….
    http://bicyclesafari.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/moulton-and-land-rover-collaboration.html

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.