What are these please?

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines What are these please?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi

Today we have out metal detecting and have dug up various items. We know the two clutches are part of a lawn tennis equipment but no idea what the other things are or if they are farming equipment?

Thanks

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Pic 2

expeatfarmer
    Participant

At First look I thought they may be a cart chock or skid to slow a cart down on hills but it looks as if it is made of brick clay and is a 2/14 ” size so unless it is some sort of brick mould Pass !!!

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you. I have now managed to identify the other items which were all tennis related apart from this. It hasn’t been fully cleaned so is covered in rust and clay but is actually a very heavy metal, so I am assuming it is a cart skid. Only found one so hoping there may be another close by.
    Not sure what the 2 1/4 refers to.

vhgmcbuddy

It’s a long time ago I seen a cart drag being used, It was on a four wheeled cart and only one drag was being used. Not sure if they ever used more than one. If this is the case there might not be another close by.

oddhatuk
    Participant

Seen at the Rural Life Museum at Tilford this morning

Attachments:
    expeatfarmer
    Participant

2 1/4 will be the width of cart wheel tyre this would have been used on. I agree they only used one drag to slow down one side rear wheel as it took a man with a chain or rope to slip it in place and pull it out again.

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you for all your help. I shan’t break my back trying to dig up another one now!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.