weed eradicator

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements weed eradicator

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Here is something I picked up at the local car boot sale, I have never seen one before, but one was on that well known auction site some time ago according to Google, I was taken by the sheer quality of the build, just look at the “Rope Knurling” on the cap filler and the other parts that unscrew, It dates I believe to before the First world War, in use, you unscrew the brass nozzle cap, revealing a brass “Needle” one push down deposits about a teaspoon of Weedkiller to the target weed, you can carry it like a Walking Stick, I have tried it with water only so far, and not a drop leaked! for £3.00 I thought that it was a bargain!.

Attachments:
    will-haggle
    Participant

I’ve got one, mine’s a Mysto, you fill the body with weedkiller and inject it into the soil next to weed. It will deliver a dose of weedkiller sufficient to kill the plant.

will-haggle
    Participant
    alan
    Participant

The earliest date I can find for the Wikeham Weed Eradicator is an 1894 advert with the item on sale at a florist/garden shop in Royal Avenue, Dublin.

Then there is a newspaper article from 1904 stating “An implement destroying weeds in lawns called the Wikeham Weed Eradicator is manufactured by the Killet Chemical Company, Liverpool. It is a tubular, 36″ long staff, fitted with a self-acting valve, and when filled with a reliable weed killer then simply by pressing the point into the plant enough liquid is injected to destroy it. The weeds turn brown about the second day, and by the fifth day shrivel up and die.”

I cannot find any reference to the fantastically named Killet Chemical Company so it may have been a marketing name. However there is a chemical company of the same time in Liverpool that made insecticides, sheep dip, and weedkillers which heavily relied on arsenic…..

Regarding the Mysto which is obviously the same: There is a 1927 Australian newspaper article saying that a Melbourne horticultural firm stocks the Mysto Weed Eradicator. Stating it’s a tool working on the syringe principle, it holds the chemical and has a pointed end which pierces the stump before injecting the weed killer.

Having looked at a few things it’s probable that Wikeham and Killet were brand names of Mysto. Any thoughts?

alan
    Participant

Page 17 of Jean Smith’s book has the Wikeham Weed Eradicator logo on it:

http://vhgmc.co.uk/member-downloads/british-hand-held-garden-tools-and-equipment-volume-1/

vhgmcbuddy

Very interesting, I wonder who “Wikeham” was? as I say, very impressed with the quality of manufacturing, and mine does not leak even a drip! A Gentlemans plaything I imagine, I expect it cost new, more than a gardeners wages for the week! Happy days!

littlefield
    Participant

As Alan thought, I can confirm that Wikeham is linked with the Boundary Chemical Co. Liverpool. The Field 1903 mentions that it can be obtained directly from this company as well as from retailers. A major retailer seems to have been Dicksons of Royal Avenue Belfast. Also sold by the Army and Navy Coop. Probably Killet was a trade name used by Boundary Chemicals. I also suspect a link with W. T French (MYSTO) but no evidence for this at the moment.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.