Webb Mowers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have a good collection of old British push mowers, including a selection of Webb machines.
    I have a Webb mower that looks like a Webb Witch but it is gear driven (similar to Ransomes Ajax). I have contacted the Lawnmower Museum and they say that to their knowledge Webb did not make such a mower. But, I have one !
    Does anybody know anything about it ?
    Steve

charlie
    Keymaster

Steve could you add a photo or two please, it will help with identifying your mower.

vhgmcbuddy

I will try to add some photos, but being a beginner to forums not sure if it will work !
    I think they are there. Please let me know if they aren’t

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

This Webb is interesting in that the front wooden roller shaft is actually a tube, with holes along its length and a grease nipple at the end. How’s that for design excellence ?
    Also, It doesn’t have the usual Webb keenness of cut concentric adjusters. Instead, it has cast brass knobs as can be seen in the photo. These work a treat.
    The last owner had it for about 45 years and he was given it after it had already had long service. So, it could be pre-war ?

alan
    Participant

Steve,

I’ve had a look at VHGMC archive stuff and a few other sources and your Webb Witch appears to date after 1936, yet it has the ribbed rear roller meaning it was a later production machine, but it has the earlier older style handles later changed in production to the crossed handles. From that information and if we had a selection of brochures then we’d probably be able to date it to within a few years!

An interesting early-ish machine and apparently not many about.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks. Alan. Did you find any reference to a gear driven Webb? I have had and do have many Webb mowers and they were all chain drive (except my Webb miniature which is driven by rubber belt !). I even have a Webb Lawntrimmer which is also chain driven (I think they are quite rare).
    Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.