Vintage or clssic

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Vintage or clssic

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

In response to Sam’s little article which again raises the question of what is acceptable to use as a ploughing tractor. I raised the topic on the forums last autumn and have since decided that I am going to acquire a none vintage compact tractor to plough with instead of my MG 40, which is also not within the rules. I shall still use the TS42 plough which is challenging enough with out the added problems of the crawler. I want to learn to actually plough well, driving in the furrow. The scarcity of vintage ride on’s is a major problem as stated, but if we look around the ploughing fields there are several vintage ploughs pulled by classic and modern tractors, which does not detract from the ploughing. Its the ploughing that is the draw and if it was easier to comply then I am sure numbers will increase.

Sorry for the spelling Vintage or Classic

charlie
    Keymaster

Some good points.

dave
    Participant

Steve. Please contact me with your MG40 details for the Ransomes register
    that I am trying to set up. Machine no, Engine no, Engine make, and fuel used.
    Thanks mate. Dave.

mickattwo
    Participant

If the plough used is vintage it should not be a concern if the power source is not. Is this correct?

I think to the purist the first word in the club name Vintage is all important. A great ideal but and club needs new members all the time.
    I would hope that I can compete fully with my very vintage plough. to acquire a ” correct” age tractor is far from easy.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

I recently heard of a guy that ploughed with an MG6 which he had converted to run on 4 wheels as per the ITW, apparently there were complaints from other ploughmen that his tractor was non-standard. I guess that if you are good then people will always try to knock your success unfortunately. Surely the skill in vintage ploughing is making the best of an old machine and within reason what you pull it with is irrelevant.

Attachments:

That conversion looks novel and there are many such modifications in the tractor world, not all by the original manufacturer. The converted Trusty’s in our own little world.
    There would appear to be members with different criteria for the club. Those who restore and show their prized models and others like myself who enjoy the working of our old bits of kit. I really want to produce a good plot of ploughing with my old plough! Start and finish!!
    If I could find a suitable Horty tractor I would only be too pleased. But again there are potential new active ploughmen if there were a little more tolerance. I have not had any adverse comment over my MG40 but if I were to be truly competitive I am sure there would be some rumblings.
    Everyone to their own, at least we have the means of a discussion.

We need an Open class at the matches.

charlie
    Keymaster

Although I am not a ploughman I can see the problem, something that happens in other sports as well , eg Land Rover trialling when does a Road Taxed Vehicle (RTV) move from standard to modified. I think what you are suggesting needs discussing by the ploughing committee with input from yourself and others.

Thanks Charlie. I believe a good and open discussion can only enhance the whole club, and go towards attracting new members.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.