Vintage Hoe. Identification required.

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements Vintage Hoe. Identification required.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sidevalve44
    Participant

Just bought this at the West Oxon Steam & Vinatge show.

It appears to be all there and once cleaned up, painted and oiled etc., will be used on the allotment when required.

Can anyone identify the maker for me ? There’s no makers plate on it nor, are the handles engraved like on Planet machines.

The seller told me it came from an old lady of 80 in Derbyshire who said it had belonged to her Grandfather ! Which must make it over a 100 years old !

Attachments:
    will-haggle
    Participant

Not one I know, Robert, I think it’s rare and I would be reluctant to paint it. I’m guessing American but I could be wrong!

stevewoollas
    Participant

Hello, This is an early version of a Horace Fuller made at the Feedex Works, Horsham, Sussex. For this to be Granmothers Grandads, that may be pushing it a bit (no pun) but it is earlier than the popular one from the 1950s. I suspect this could be early post second world war ie mid to late 1940s but I am not sure when Fullers started production.
    I have never seen an early one with paint on so these may pre-dated the orange and green colour scheme of the later hoes and drills. Equally whilst the handles are of the same design as the later ones I have not seen one of these earlier types with the Fuller transfers on. I recently cleaned some hoes blades from a Fuller hoe and found them to be stamped Fuller so a diligent look in this area may confirm the brand
    A nice find
    Regards–Steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.