vintage garden tool catalogue

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements vintage garden tool catalogue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I wonder if there is a download of a British Garden Tool catalogue? or a reprint? I have seen a pdf of a Brades Catalogue, but there were no illustrations and everything was priced by the Dozen! I was in my local gardening centre the other week looking at the shiny new tools on Display, and I was approached by one of their “senior” helpers, I told him I was trying to see if the tools were made in Britain, He assured me that the lovely expensive ones were indeed still made in Britain, and one brand features the award from Kew, I told him that I thought it odd, that the “Wulf Garten” display proudly stated made in Germany, the Swiss secaturs all stamped Switzerland and Ditto for the Finish made tools, I said it was strange that the so called British tools did not state anything other than Established 1798 etc.
    I was curious and went on the Web. and sure enough all the famous names are made abroad! Last year I bought a Long handled Fork by “Bulldog” it cost quite a bit more than all my “Car Boot” tools I use, but it was stamped “Made in England” I now find that the Forge closed down some years ago and the heads ?blades are forged in India, and as long as the British firm fits the wooden handle, it can be claimed to be “British Made” What a joke!

charlie
    Keymaster

Same as Scottish beef, I believe it only has to spend six weeks in Scotland to fatten up and can be called Scottish Beef even if it has spent the rest of its life in sunny Somerset or where ever.
    With hand tools you are probably better off buying the old British made ones from car boot sales. I am lucky to have inherited my parents old garden tools, some are Elwell brand.

charlie
    Keymaster

I have a number of old garden tool catalogues, some are manufacturers catalogues eg Tyzack others are from suppliers. The old CGA books are a good reference too. None of mine have been scanned.

vhgmcbuddy

I have bought quite a selection of good old British made garden tools from car boot sales over the years and I have become more interested in the different Designs and qualities, I just think it is so odd, how, as a nation we have surrendered our Manufacturing industries to the east, If a Wealthy country like Germany or Switzerland can take a pride in manufacturing and exporting their goods, Who says that they have got it wrong? Still, I shall be back “Car Booting” this weekend searching for Bargains!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.