Villiers 15 non starter

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Villiers 15 non starter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all
    I have a bantam rotovator which was given to me having not been used for some years. I have cleaned it all up and checked the engine over which has a good spark at plug, however it refuses to start. Engine is villiers 15 with s12 carb and I have tried all tricks including heating the plug and putting fuel down the plug hole, have had small puffs of smoke but no more than that. Does anyone have any ideas as I am officially fed up with pulling that rope!

stuart
    Participant

As a matter of course on an engine that has not been used for several years I would check all the following…..contact breakers,condensor,spark plug,HT lead,ignition timing,compression components (valves,valve clearences,head gasket),carburettor (thoroughly strip and clean).

jim-beacon
    Participant

If you have a spark, check the ignition timing and compression.
    The timing has been know to slip on these smal Villiers engines, as the flywheel is only held on a taper, and people either don’t clean the taper, or don’t tighten the flywheel nut properly!

vhgmcbuddy

Many thanks to all,it was indeed the timing that was out, has now run so will set more precisely and put it to work

charlie
    Keymaster

I find the only way to be sure of setting timing correctly on these engines is to remove head to measure position of piston.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.