vehicle registration

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines vehicle registration

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

sounds like your local dvla are real jobs worths. My letter aged the vehicle and confirmed it was manufactured in the US and imported in 1972. When I filled in the V55 form I only filled in the the serial numbers and cc. They ignored the rest – I’ve done this twice btw, maybe the leeds dvla office is the place to go…

charlie
    Keymaster

Meadowfield, I think the rules have changed since you got yours registered if I have read correctly. Again there is information about this on the FBHVC website.

charlie
    Keymaster

There are a couple of articles about NOVA in issue 5 2013 of the FBHVC newsletter available on line at their website.

vhgmcbuddy

I joined several clubs and tried to get help with registering mine. It turned out that none of the experts could help me. From my research of wheel horses I’m probably better qualified than most… I wrote a nice letter to Toro and they confirmed the age on headed paper which the DVLA confirmed along with photographs and insurance was enough.

I’ve registered two in the last last two years (one 1979 T, the other 1972 K) – the last one being a year ago. I’ve just filled in the request for form V55/5 again and I’m going to register another horse. Lets see how that goes.

mark

wristpin
    Participant

Doubt if you need worry about the engine as it’s doubtful that they would have any details about the engine in a “lawnmower” and wouldn’t either recognise or be concerned about the engine swap.

wristpin
    Participant

Guess that your best bet is a DVLA local office (before they close them all) and a face to face discussion. This may be stating the bloomin obvious but assuming that your machine(s) were bought retail in this country and not personal imports, any duty and vat due (vat not introduced into the UK until 1973) would have been paid at the point of import by the then Simplicity importer/distributor. Cannot remember who that was although the name Stemport Marketing keeps nagging – I know they imported Masport machines.

On edit – can’t remember what I had for breakfast but am right about Stemport!!!

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Stemport_Marketing_Co

charlie
    Keymaster

I think the problem is NOVA is HMRC trying to make sure the correct duty has been or is paid on any import. When trying to register an old vehicle with the DVLA it needs to go through the NOVA process as they do not know if it is an old or new import, you may have imported an old vehicle. You will need to complete the paper form not the online NOVA form.

hybridv8
    Participant

Just a quick update on the registration of my two simplicities,I sent all the paperwork including the dating information from Briggs and Stratton and Simplicity also my insurance to hmrc to be checked against NOVA and got a letter back stating that there was no vat to pay so I could now apply to DVLA for a reg no,I thought this was just a formality and I would receive my log book,well they both arrived today and lo and behold they have both been given ‘Q’ plates because I could not pin the manufactured dates down to a specific year as they were both manufactured for two years,so even though they have concurrent reg nos the kick in the teeth is that they are not age related.

charlie
    Keymaster

For an age related plate they do need a more specific date, a range of years means they cannot give an age related plate. Ideally a day of manufacture would be the answer, which I thought could be derived from the B7S engine number.

hybridv8
    Participant

I sent them the engine numbers and in a covering letter told them how to read the number and I also included a sheet from the B&S website on how to read the number but because the tractors were manufactured for two years they wouldn’t give it an age related plate,but I am happy they have been registered and the tax discs arrived today,I do love it when they say NIL duty.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.