vehicle registration

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines vehicle registration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    hybridv8
    Participant

Hi,I am not sure if this is the right area to post this so please feel free to correct me if I am in the wrong place,I have two simplicity tractors a 7116 no: 1690475-001212 and a 3410 no: 990755-03069,I am trying to register them with the dvla but they want me to prove their manufacturing dates,is there a site or a link that would send me a certificate of manufacturing date like a heretige certificate you can get for a car,they are being very pigheaded about it so any help would be very gratefully received.

wristpin
    Participant

Haven’t we seen this request on this forum a while back?

hybridv8
    Participant

A while ago I was REQUESTING this information but now dvla want me to PROVE the manufacturing date otherwise the tractors need an IVA for a Q plate which I don’t really want,I would like them to have age related plates if I possibly can.

wristpin
    Participant

Understood, have taken the liberty of posting your request on a USA forum to see what those guys can come up with.

wristpin
    Participant

So far one reply from the US

I would think he will have to contact Simplicity themselves to get any kind of “certificate” of the year it was manufactured. Since they don’t have titles in the U.S. for farm equipment so that may still be a difficult task. I looked up the model number and came up with 1979/1980 for the 7116. I come up with 1972/1973 for the 3410. We don’t issue license plates in the U.S. for these small lawn tractors so this sounds like a strange request to us. Good luck!

hybridv8
    Participant

I also posted on a couple of American websites and I have downloaded as much information as I can and I will phone dvla on Monday,I received a letter from them suggesting I look at their website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nova apparently it has something to do with how they date vehicles.

wristpin
    Participant

Well, that website is interesting reading – if you have all day and nothing better to do!
    You may well have explored this avenue but….
    The DVLA has a list of vehicle clubs that are recognised as dating authorities

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-registrations-fee

If you fight your way through this notice you will find a section entitled
    “get form V765 endorsed by a vehicle owners’ club”

Looking through it there are a couple of tractor clubs and a farm machinery preservation one so I suppose that there is a possibility that the VHGMC could get itself added to the list and be accepted as a dating authority – don’t all rush!

charlie
    Keymaster

Have a look at FBHVC Some information on how to get a vehicle registered.
    You may get away with using the engine number to prove age if it a B&S engine as their engine numbers can be traced to day of manufacture.

vhgmcbuddy

Angus is absolutely correct, the only way you can now do this is to be a member of DVLA and registered on the V765 scheme.
    I am a member of this scheme having recently been approved by DVLA as Chairman of the BMB President Tractor Club, but, presently I can only register Presidents and certainly NOT any machine registered to myself… BUT, the VHGMC will have to be a member of FBHVC and have a registered address to even be considered, but this is the gateway in, I know, I’ve just been through it all but if you know the procedure it is not a hardship.
    If the VHGMC was a registered group on the V765 Scheme, it may well open doors to registering vehicles, a very good way in fact, but you may have to have ‘experts’ or ‘authorised’ bodies of any specific make of machine to be road registered.
    As many of you will know, the countdown is on for closure of ALL DVLA local offices, all will be closed by 13th December 2013. As a member of the V765 Scheme I have received the papers saying which is closing and when…. so, if anyone needs that info let me know, probably better by e mail to me & I can email the confirmation letter.
    One problem now with these closures, is that the likes of people like me have to be entrusted with original documents for machinery/vehicles… imagine the upset & worry that will cause, but DVLA have washed their hands of another task entrusting this to the likes of me. All paperwork will have to be sent by recorded/registered mail etc and inevitably we shall have to charge for this.. exactly how much is yet to be accepted national as an acceptable figure.

So, HybridV8, I can’t promise, but I can ask the question to DVLA, but I will need photographs etc showing the machine, actual location of the serial/engine numbers etc and some form of declaration that it is an ‘Agricultural OR Horticultural’ machine to be used on a public road.
    It is going to be one hell of a mess until December 13th, as DVLA have never in it’s history had to deal with so many ‘unique’ areas of different processes at the main office, it will be mayhem.

But going back to VHGMC being on the ‘Scheme’ I think it will be a very very useful facility, but someone will be required to be the ‘Registering Officer’ of the club.

Just a thought…………
    Titch

charlie
    Keymaster

Titch thanks for the info. The VHGMC are affiliated to the FBHVC so part way there, we will need to open dialogue with the DVLA to see if we can become one of the recognised clubs for vehicle verification. The closure dates for DVLA offices can be viewed at DVLA Office Closure Dates

hybridv8
    Participant

Thanks for that titch,I will ring them tomorrow to see if I can sort this out as I can only find the engine number on one machine but they are both the original b&s engines so it has got to be there somewhere,if I don’t get any joy I will send you some photos to see if you can do anything,by the way how are my dash decals getting on.

wristpin
    Participant

I can only find the engine number on one machine but they are both the original b&s engines so it has got to be there somewhere,

In theory yes, but I have a Ransomes Marquis with a Briggs sitting here right now with no sign of a number anywhere! Can only assume that it’s had a new blower housing at some point and that whoever fitted it didn’t make use of the sticky tag that used to come with new housings and short blocks – or,it’s fallen victim to pressure washing!

vhgmcbuddy

A very interesting read, thanks guy’s.
    I’ve been thinking of getting one of my WH’s road legal for a while now.
    Although my 6X6 is insured for the road, it is not road registered and to be honest it would cost be a fortune in fuel to go to the shops in it!!

My GT14+2 however would be ideal, cheaper on fuel and the roll bar even has a mount for a yellow flashing light 🙂
    What I’m wondering about is it’s had a few modifications..
    I wouldn’t expect any complaints about the roll bar being a safety item, but the engine has been swapped for a 16hp rather than the original 14hp..

Would this give me any problems?

vhgmcbuddy

From my experience they don’t care. The letter from toro to confirm age was enough.

hybridv8
    Participant

The refusal letter the sent me informed me that I should ring HMRC to find out about this NOVA system they have for registering vehicles so I did,aparently as of 15th april your vehicle has to be on this NOVA (Notification Of Vehicle Arrivals) list before you can register it in case there is any tax to pay,so he emailed me the forms which I have if anybody needs a copy and the notes that go with it,then when they have decided if tax is payable or not they will send me permission to register it,I have to send the Briggs and Stratton engine number dating info along with the tractor dating info the form and a covering letter so it should be fairly simple ,unusually for them there doesn’t appear to be a fee that must be a first.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.