Unleaded and E5 fuel in older B&S engines

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Unleaded and E5 fuel in older B&S engines

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sidevalve44
    Participant

I am wondering if my 1976 B & S 3HP engine is unleaded compatible. It probably doesn’t get used enough for it to be a real issue but, should I perhaps be putting Valvemaster or similar in the fuel ? Also, has anyone had any problems with older type engines running on the new E5 type petrol ? So far I haven’t with the Briggs but am aware of it being a problem in older motor-bikes.

wristpin
    Participant

It will have hardened valve seat inserts so no problem there,but if you want a bit of extra protection for the valve stems and guides a drop of two-stroke oil or good old Redex will do the trick. All my old BSAs and Villiers get that treatment.
    E5 won’t be a problem so long as it’s fresh and not left in the system to evaporate and deposit gum. If you are concerned about “shelf life” you can use a stabilising additive such as B&S’s Fuel Fit or Fuel Fresh (same product, different packaging) but I don’t bother and as yet have not suffered any problems. For long tern storage the advantage of a stabilising additive over “running dry” is that the tiny bit of fuel left in the dark recesses of the carb ready to cause trouble will be protected.

sidevalve44
    Participant

Thanks for that. I had a feeling it might have hardened valve seats but wasn’t sure. I use fuel stabilizer anyway so no worries there. As it smokes a bit after running for a while It’s probably getting a fair bit of UCL anyway, although I may get some Redex for extra measure !!

charlie
    Keymaster

Another product that helps counter the gumming and similar E5 issues is Ethomix available from Frost Auto Restoration, FBHVC website lists other products tested by them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.