TurfMaster Ride-on Brake Drums Help?

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines TurfMaster Ride-on Brake Drums Help?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi Guys,I hope someone could help me here I’ve just Purchase a turfmaster ride on mower which I want to restore but brakes are faulty and I don’t seem to be able to find any info on the Rear brake 5 stud drums/shoes/pistons

Any help with I.d of replacement part would be much appreciated

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

If it is only the shoes that need replacing it should be possible to have them relined. No idea about sourcing other parts.

trusty220
    Keymaster

The last company to own the Nickerson Turfmaster brand was Joe Turner Equipment at King’s Coughton, Warwickshire. It may be worth a call, but I doubt that they have anything left these days.

vhgmcbuddy

Can’t do that I’m afraid Charlie,The stud face of one of the drums has broken away

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Trusty I’ll do a bit of searching.

vhgmcbuddy

After Getting hold of joe turner equipment – they directed me to David turner at greenmech now waiting on a return call …

and after an over night soak if one of the brake cylinders i managed to get a number off it 84946
    quick google search directed me to a Morris minor cylinder and they look like a match.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

It would be logical to use an off the shelf item when manufacturing these machines rather than have a bespoke item made. If it is Morris Minor it should be easily sourced and not too expensive.

vhgmcbuddy

after bit more tinkering it looks like the opposite side has also a different cylinder??
    so now thinking this good side with the MM cylinder may have been a bodge,and yet was the better side which i stripped down…

as you said charlie I’d have expected the brake parts to be off the shelf cheap as chip’s item’s from back when these were made,but what was around back when these were built?? not alot with 5 stud fitment and even the drum backing plate is an odd one – spend hours looking at images of parts from late 70’s – 80’s to see if i can find a match

vhgmcbuddy

other cylinder 🙁

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello, i have got a older nickerson and two even older horwools. The cylinder which looks more bodged is the original i believe as my ones have them and the other one looks like someone might have replaced it before but i am not familiar with the later machines, they might work if you hook them up but i would recommend you clean the inside first if you did that. Is the master cylinder okay? From the picture it looks similar to my one, but if you need to rebuild it i found a rebuild kit that might work for you it is LK10703. As for shoes i haven’t found anything yet. anyway your machine does not look too bad considering the age.I have an original service manual for them with part numbers but they are turfmaster part numbers but here they are anyway the shoes are:9032
    The left cylinder is: 9031 The right cylinder is: 80.1.022/2 and the drum number is:80.1.021

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.