Timing on ransomes MG6 info required

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Timing on ransomes MG6 info required

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have been having a lot of trouble trying to get my mg6 to start
    I am now thinking that I have fitted the new timing chain wrong
    What is the correct position of the camshaft.and Magnéto shaft
    I do not understand the instructions of the position of the keyway (keyway in-line between two chain teeth)
    I would like instruction on setting up the timing
    Any help would be very much appreciate

vhgmcbuddy

Hulloh there just in got some bother with Paypal(again)
    Anyhow I see somebody with a MG problem who hasn’t:)
    Any how from what I am reading seems fuel in to manifold,,,,possible ctrics
    Good bright spark at the plug? better checked at low light, amazing the difference
    The thing is it seems the chain has been split so and the movement disturbed so everything needs to be reset to hit where all should
    C/Shaft and piston straight forward set it at TDC as is said keyway 12.00 though easier if the piston is brought up to DC and stopped I will stop momentarily to change direction, a hand on the piston will tell when it is there ,,,,,mibi with some practice??
    Then the valve timing needs to be set at both closed position with the overlap sequence to match TDC Firing sequence, and not “on the rock”.
    The magneto or more precisely the Magneto drive “D” dog needs to be set so that when the magneto impulse clickS it clicks over TDC.
    All that done without chain connection to the cogs.
    It is a bit fiddly the ag needs to be set just as the impulse fires totally dependent on the position of he drive,exactly into the Magnetodrive with the coupling timed with the rest of the sequence Acuracy is essential as leaway a tooth either way will affect the fine tunning or/ and starting or running Best thing is to accurately mark everything to a datum someplace perminant as setting up the connecting back up bit can be problematic Don’t try that with themag in place youll be fighting an impulse
    When every thing sorted double check the sequence the piston at TDC both valves closed and impulse just fired
    PS It is east to get it wrong refitting the chain sometime it can be a tooth out on the timming
    Works for me ……..Eventually good luck and patience

vhgmcbuddy

Thank for the info I have reset the timing and have the spark happening at TDC
    Still not firing now think it is the Magnéto coil as I have replaced the condenser
    Will also change the spark plug.
    I will take the Magnéto of the engine and try running it up with a drill to see how good it is

vhgmcbuddy

If you are getting a GOOD spark at TDC Then nothing wrong with the electrics Make sure trhere are no leaks in the pipe manifold joints and good comp on the handle
    Try pouring a splash into the plug hole and see what happens Both valves shut at TDC Exhaust opening when piston down a bit and inlet staying closed? Is the spark plug wet?
    another thing ,, any slap or gap on the buttewrfly spindle
    Always a good thing if you can get a plastic tubing for the in let pipe the fuel pipe will show air bubbles and don’t use the hose clamps get the crimp type tidier job anyway and also if it is original it might have collapsed inside causing a blockage the fuel likely to get through ,, eventually but slow and without pressure

Date : 11/06/2019 – 15:50 (GMTDT)
    To : noreply@vhgmc.co.uk
    Subject : [Vintage Horticultural and Garden Machinery Club] Timing on ransomes MG6 info required

zander wrote:

Thank for the info I have reset the timing and have the spark happening at TDC
    Still not firing now think it is the Magnéto coil as I have replaced the condenser
    Will also change the spark plug.
    I will take the Magnéto of the engine and try running it up with a drill to see how good it

vhgmcbuddy

If I do a compression test what pressure should I expect.
    Also my spark was more a yellow colour than blue.

vhgmcbuddy

Did a compression test and got 60psi is this to low or ok

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.