The Wizard has an Autumn workout

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines The Wizard has an Autumn workout

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sidevalve44
    Participant

After its spring overhaul I have eventually been able to give the Wizard a workout. Needed to richen the mixture but apart from that it ran quite well, using a lot less petrol than previously.
    Conditions were very claggy and I must admit a bigger engine would be useful when it’s so sticky.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Well done. I can see it clogged the rotors up a bit, but it made a good job on your plot.

moggyjim
    Participant

my allotment neighbour has a cadet which is like yours and he replaced the transport wheel at the front for a heavy cast one it improved the tiller no end in our heavy clay soil. Yours looks a much better made machine with a steel belt guard instead of plastic.I think they are under rated. We also made a little tool bar to replace the strake at the rear so he has 4 duck feet for weeding. Im jealous as our site is far to wet and all we can do is drink tea in the shed and think about planting broad beans. have you a plan for your freshly tilled space or is this a weeding exersize.Sorry to rabbit on i think you have done a great job on your tiller..

sidevalve44
    Participant

Hi Moggyjim, Thank you for the compliment. I have no idea what happened to the original jockey wheel; the machine is more or less as I got it from E–y. To transport it, a previous owner has made up a little two wheeled assembly that slides over the strake at the rear; it works well but makes it very front heavy when moving it round. The metal belt guard was also on it when I got it, I repainted it and added the Wolseley transfer plus VHGMC sticker ! As a machine it goes well considering it’s only got a 3HP engine and our site is very claggy clay. Like the idea of the 4 duck feet for weeding, although I have a hoe for that.
    We rotovate the site twice a year; once in late autumn and again in spring. Had a brilliant crop of runner beans this year, plus plenty of carrots, parsnips and spuds.
    Future plans are for a Merry Tiller with 5HP (or bigger) engine with plough attachment, to deal with claggy conditions. No money at present so, that will have to wait !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.