The Wheels are off

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    will-haggle
    Participant

I bought this Merry Tiller professional last year, it runs well and is in generally good condition but the non-standard wheels would not come off. I had to drive the pins out and I tried various things to get them off but to no avail. So I ran the machine with the pins out and gave them a good soak in GT85, it’s got PTFE in it. I recently noticed that they had moved around a bit so I tried turning them yesterday and they turned, they were soon off. I have fitted a pair of refurbished 10″ (300 x 6) wheels which I can remove to fit rotors.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Good news, will have to add GT85 to the stock of release/penetrating fluids.

vhgmcbuddy

I always make my own, is much cheapness please.

urbanalfa
    Participant

Diesel_dave can you share your recipe?

vhgmcbuddy

50% red diesel, 50% hydraulic oil (viscosity and quality irrelevant) few drops of phosphoric acid. Good shake, into a spray bottle, be generous, jobs a good un.
    All of the above ingredients are found “floating about” at work. Failing that half a gallon of 85% phosphoric acid is available from a well known auction site for less than £15. Never really worked out a technical percentage of acid, a good glug in a 20 ltr drum.
    Phosphoric acid is important for dissolving the rust, the diesel is the solvent or carrier and the hydraulic oil is the lubricant.
    If something is severely corroded, a good cola fizzy drink is about the best i have ever used, i believe there is phosphoric acid in cola and assume the bubbles help to agitate it. Not the expensive branded one but a cheap one. Also lucozade and wire wool for polishing slightly rusty chrome, use it on hydraulic ram rods all the time. Obviously they need cleaning off after otherwise you will have ants anywhere.
    Hope this helps some.
    All the best.

urbanalfa
    Participant

Many thanks – I’ll give that a go.

The phosphoric acid in cola makes it useful for descaling kettles and bathrooms, too. I’d never thought of adding acid to home made penetrating fluid, though.

Any idea what makes lucozade work on chrome?

vhgmcbuddy

It says about descaling when i ordered some, apparantly it is also used for pH correction in hydroponics.
    No idea about the lucozade probably because it “aids recovery” doesnt say what of. Presumably aids recovery of shiney chrome.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.