Tarpen Little Giant Chainsaw

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements Tarpen Little Giant Chainsaw

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    will-haggle
    Participant

In 2015 I bought a Little Giant from The Showman, I think it had belonged to John, who had a large collection in Sussex. I cleaned it up and have had it on show a few times but I’ve now fitted a new lead. I gave it a try last night and it runs! Picture shows it cleaned up but with the old lead still on.

Attachments:
    trusty-mad
    Participant

These are lovely little saws. However I have never managed to find any sales literature for them.

will-haggle
    Participant

No Robert neither have I. Perhaps Mr. Mackellow has?

will-haggle
    Participant

Picture after changing the lead….

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

The only image I can find in my archives for a Little Giant chainsaw is an advert from 1963 with the Little Giant being mentioned as ‘Specially designed for one-handed use. Ideal for lopping and pruning. 5″ cut. price £28.0.0’.

Little Giant Chainsaw by Tarpen 1963

trustymasseyman
    Participant

that sounds expensive to me for 1963 …….

alan
    Participant

In the gallery there is a 1960 advert and the little giant chainsaw is just off the image in the bottom right corner.

vhgmcbuddy

One handed use? That’s got trip to A&E written all over it. It does sound expensive, must have been two or three weeks wages?

charlie
    Keymaster

Not one handed if you look, there is a side handle for left hand.

will-haggle
    Participant

Charlie, the Little Giant is one handed, there is no provision for a second handle. The picture in the photo gallery is a Tarpensaw, https://vhgmc.co.uk/photo-galleries/tarpen/tarpen-little-giant-imgtarp042/

charlie
    Keymaster

My misunderstanding, but looking at the gallery photo, your left hand would hold the handle seen in the photo and I assume your right hand would hold the shaft drive as a second handle.

charlie
    Keymaster

My misunderstanding, but looking at the gallery photo, your left hand would hold the handle seen in the photo and I assume your right hand would hold the shaft drive as a second handle.

charlie
    Keymaster

Tags removed

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.