Stupid thing has happend

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Stupid thing has happend

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    carlharper
    Participant

Hi all just got simar out of its shelter
    Today and a leak in shelter side has fild up the engine full of water.through the exhaust
    Have drained the water out do i take the spark plug out and then fill the engine with oil then drain out. Engine still turn over. ?

roatavator
    Participant

Hi Carl. I’ve never had this happen, but if it did I’d be tempted to remove plug and spin engine over several times. Then a squirt of oil in cylinder, spin over again, clean plug and try to start and if it goes leave it running for a good time to throughly warm up. After stopping immediately open drain tap to let oil etc out. I’m thinking the sooner you get it running and oil circulated around, the less chance of internal corrosion. Charlie, I hasten to say, may well know better!
    Stable doors and horses, but I put an empty dog food tin over all my SIMAR exhausts to stop water getting in when in storage.
    Peter

carlharper
    Participant

Problem is just got back from dads working all day tomorrow back aftér dark
    Tuseday will be the day to start up. Not making this misstake again.

charlie
    Keymaster

I would open or remove tap and drain crankcase, which it sounds like you have already done. Getting the engine running and warmed up to drive out last traces of moisture and lubricate everything would be next priority.
    After winter layup I strip and clean carb before attempting to start engine.
    I always park SIMAR with front of machine on the floor and handlebar up in the air as recommended by Geo Monro this prevents water getting down exhaust, see attached.

roatavator
    Participant

Interesting Charlie. I have tried following the recommendation in the past but the gearbox oil seemed to drain into the engine causing problems starting in new season. I know, I should get around to renewing seals!

charlie
    Keymaster

Yes I find some does get into crankcase but it does drain out when tap is opened.

carlharper
    Participant

Got simar running today all is ok . Had enough fuel for 10mins of run time . Egg cup of water came out but exhaust manifold has craked more
    It has been welded in past.
    Will run a weekend

roatavator
    Participant

That’s great to hear Carl. Tough old machines, these SIMARS. Hopefully you will get manifold repaired ok.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.