Steel plate

Home Forums General Help and information Steel plate

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I am building a replica machine and require what I believe to be called admirality plate, it’s an old style of tread plate with diamond shapes on, I am aware of the modern steel plate that you get but it does not have the correct pattern.

If anyone has seen this or has a bit lying about then I would be greatfull if you would pass it on, I’ve been to just about every blacksmith, engineers and scrap yard in the borders and no one has seen it.

I require two pieces around 12″ square I have a piece so I know it exists but it is not big enough!

Attachments:
    jtg1
    Participant

looks like an old manhole cover

hillsider
    Participant

You may struggle to find a source diamond pattern Chequer plate, I am sure it was discontinued many years ago in favour of the five bar pattern Durbar plate that you have probably found already.
    The only places that I can think of that may help is either a ship repair yard or a ship breakers as it was commonly used for deck plates in engine rooms.

vhgmcbuddy

That’s what I thought, I’ve been told it has been discontinued, the only problem is I don’t think there’s any ship yards left in scotland!

vhgmcbuddy

I have found a supplier in Turkey, I am not sure if they will supply so small pieces.

http://www.agirhaddecilik.com/urunler.html

vhgmcbuddy

Well they wouldn’t supply a small qty, the MOQ was 28 tonnes!

jtg1
    Participant

you could ask them if they have recently supplied any one in this country, and see if they have any off cuts or a small spare bit

dave
    Participant

Ring Me 01376 340072 on Wednesday evening as I may be able to help you.
    Dave.

vhgmcbuddy

Tried that, they wouldn’t disclose any customer details.

Thanks Dave, I’ll give you a call.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I’ve just seen something that may help- it’s an expanded mesh on a small trailer that we do. When I say expanded mesh, it’s not like the sort that we get over here; this stuff actually lies flat and would weld to a flat plate to reproduce what you’re looking for. The trailer is made by a company in the USA called Smithco and I’ve included a photo of the mesh.
    Before you ask- no, I can’t get the mesh! The Smithco products are brought into this country by Ransomes Jacobsen and they won’t supply raw materials like this. The reason that I included it is because it is obviously freely available in the US.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks to Dave, I have now sourced the plate.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.