Smith's Aero Seed Fiddle

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements Smith's Aero Seed Fiddle

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    trusty220
    Keymaster

I managed to pick this little rarity up the other day from my good mate Johnny Polish. It certainly looks like it has had very little use (or none at all), and I’ve never seen one with the label on the back still in one piece and legible.
    The only thing missing seems to be the fiddle part although it appears that I have the handle and the other end to it; what should the bit in the middle look like, and how does it all go together?
    If Steve Woollas comes back with a quip like, “Chairman on the Fiddle” or something similar then I’m going to keep my head down!

Attachments:
    hortiman
    Participant

Hello Geoff
    This committee member is also on the fiddle! mine is in approximately the same condition, I will take some photos and post them on here, my fiddle is also broken but it will give you an idea of what the middle part looks like.

Best wishes
    Chris

charlie
    Keymaster

Ohh dear this committee member is also on the fiddle mine has the traditional mouse hole in the bag, but fiddle is complete.

trusty220
    Keymaster

There seems to be a common thread here- do all of our committee members have fiddles, then????

oddhatuk
    Participant

Aah, but which came first, the fiddle or the committee membership?

charlie
    Keymaster

Did the committee invent the fiddle???

trusty220
    Keymaster

I’m not saying ANYTHING more!

trustymasseyman
    Participant

Geoff, back on line you are missing what I remember being called a whip ( dowell ) and a square leather boot lace. If you ring me I will explain how this goes together. Have used one of these on the farm to sow grass when winter barley has been drilled in September

martin-ellison
    Participant

worked for contractor on roads have walked miles reseeding motorway/bypass batters that where to steep for tractors in 70s and early 80s made great job cant remember how they went together old age creeping up martin

stevewoollas
    Participant

Hello Geoff,
    Here to try and assist are some pictures of our bow for the Aero Fiddle Drill.
    Handle is very similar to that of a good quality file handle and is 7″ long.
    The bobbin at the extant end is c2″ long.
    The bow itself is dowel c30″ long x 3/8″ diameter.
    The cord is basically a square cut boot lace.

Now, with regard to fiddles, we are all aware of your expertise in this line what with the Ravenhall Nice Ice Cream scam in the summer and the Redditch Norton Engine Rebuilds in the winter and your Porkless Pork Pies at shows you only need to “flip” a second home a few times, present an invoice for cleaning out the moat, building a duck house and you could stand for parliament.
    However we see though your admitting to being a fiddler as the VHGMC elections are coming up but never fear, you’re not going that easily, Fiddler for Chair, Vote Geoff in.
    Possibly I could be your campaign manager!

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Oh no, not again!!!!!
    Don’t believe a word he says, fellas!

vhgmcbuddy

I have one of these, not common in Australia – too slow in 400 acre paddocks! The missing bit in your photo is a piece of round wood, dowel, I would call it. There is also a long thin leather strip, not unlike a boot lace that is secured to each handle, and wraps around the drive shaft. Would you like more info, dimensions etc, music sheets?!

mickattwo
    Participant

WHAT IS THE PURPACE OF THE BOOTLACES, MINE WORKS OK AND HASNT ANY?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.