site security Logging in

Home Forums General Help and information site security Logging in

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Do we have a security problem on this site? When logging in a message appears that states that the site is not secure and could be compromised. Plonker

alan
    Participant

Thanks for the question.

The database is held securely and also since the site doesn’t take payment details – they are securely processed by Paypal – any security risk is on a par with any other website.

As a reminder to all, we do advice members not to post their email address or phone number on the website. It also reminds me that years ago we were asked if we’d do a members map on the website, however it was a great way to pinpoint members and their machines so we did not proceed with that function. However I know of one machinery forum that has a members map and it is a major security risk for all the members involved.

charlie
    Keymaster

plonker do you get the message every time? May be you could send a copy of the screen (use PrtScrn button) then use contact link and paste it in.

vhgmcbuddy

Alan’s concern are real, that’s why on the other forum I’ve put no more than Herefordshire for my location. Also I keep a hotmail account just for giving out to people if I’m in any doubt. Unfortunately it’s a sign of the times that we live in.
    The other thing I’ve had issues with is eBay, a few months ago I left negative feedback for somebody who was basically a con artist. He then requested my phone number off eBay which they gave him and I started getting calls late at night and off ppi companies etc.
    Since this incident I’ve changed my number on eBay to a sex line, something we should perhaps all consider doing if they are just going to hand it out to anyone that asks?

charlie
    Keymaster

Maybe e bay would be kind enough to give you his number and you could return the favour. Also have you got all your phone numbers registered with TPS.

vhgmcbuddy

eBay, did return his number, he got back exactly what he did to me, plus no names mentioned I had a friend who works shifts give him an early morning alarm call in the early hours a few times. I have registered with tps, however He filled out the forms requesting a call.
    I’ve got BT call guardian on my phone so I simply blocked all numbers from manchester( where he comes from), London, all the call centre numbers plus withheld numbers. As an added bonus it means keris nan( who suffers from dimentia ) can’t keep ringing up 4-5 times a week about getting Keris hair cut, lol.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.