shay rotogardener 80 (first project)

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines shay rotogardener 80 (first project)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

hello all this is my first post
    I have always loved old machinery, I grew up in my dads carpentry workshop using his antique machinery and was especially fond of his planer thicknesser which was originally operated by a steam powered line shaft and over 100 years old (he would occasionally threaten to by a new one but thankfully never did) it was this that sparked my early interest and now I have the chance to start my first project

I have inherited a shay rotogardener 80, it belonged to my partners great grandfather
    the plan is to get it working on our new/first allotment this year
    It seems to be in good nick and not long out of use judging by the fuel I drained from it.
    The inlet manifold had come apart were the flange is pressed onto the tube which is now welded solid.
    There was no spark but after abit of fiddling with the ignition it is now good

I would really appreciate some help as I cannot find any manuals or information on the machine, if someone could point me in the right direction to find one that would be great, or if anyone could answer a few questions I would like to know
    -what oils to use in gearbox and air filter
    -if there is a better way to set up the ignition timing than just trial and error

many thanks in advance

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

What engine is fitted?

vhgmcbuddy

I believe it is a jap 80cc

will-haggle
    Participant

JAP JS 8, type 20, S80. type 20. 30 or 40, according to my JAP book…

will-haggle
    Participant
    vhgmcbuddy

thankyou for the replies I have found the engine number – s80’G’14957’40

vhgmcbuddy

so I guess the 40 on the end indicates type 40, I have looked up the G and this indicates 1959

vhgmcbuddy

jap two stroke engines manual ordered

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.