Searching the forum

Home Forums General Help and information Searching the forum

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wristpin
    Participant

Having a turn out today and came across a manual for a Stothert and Pitt Vibroll. Remembered that someone was trying to identify a roller and that Stothert and Pitt were suggested as a possible maker so I entered both words separately and together in the search box with nil results. Eventually found the post by scrolling through the forum.
    What was I doing wrong ?

will-haggle
    Participant

Here’s a link, Angus, the poster didn’t put Vibroll in the topic.

Ancient vibrating roller with Villiers engine

wristpin
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies. I didn’t realise that the search was only confined to the post title and did not include the content. I inherited the manual in 1979 when the original Godfreys of Brenchly (Kent) closed down together with two car loads of parts books and manuals that were about to be skipped. Not so relevant now that so much info is available on the net but a godsend at the time.

alan
    Participant

Searching the site can be done from Google too, go to Google and type in:

site:vhgmc.co.uk followed by what you are searching for, as an example:

site:vhgmc.co.uk qualcast panther

Google will search through the images too.

charlie
    Keymaster

Alan, thanks for that handy tip.

wristpin
    Participant

Thanks for the Google searching tip. I’ve given it a try but it too seems to only work on the topic heading rather than content so I’m guessing that the Forum’s search box is actually a quick link to a Google search ?

charlie
    Keymaster

wristpin, I just tried the method suggested by Alan and found it works, you need to enter it exactly as shown ie site:vhgmc.co.uk monro tiller

alan
    Participant

Google is thankfully incredibly good at indexing the VHGMC stuff.

For example try the following link to search for Monro Tiller and see the search criteria in the search box:

site:vhgmc.co.uk monro tiller

wristpin
    Participant

Google is thankfully incredibly good at indexing the VHGMC stuff.Google is thankfully incredibly good at indexing the VHGMC stuff.

That I understand but it only works if the searched for word is in the Topic title and not the content. In my case the original poster did not know what he had, so the words Sothert and Pitt and Vibroll did not appear in the original Topic but were included in one of the reply contents – hence no hit on either a VHGMC search nor a Google search.
    Just to prove the point, the original Topic was “Ancient vibrating roller with Villiers engine” and any of those words on the end of a Google search would have found it – but of course I had no memory of the original Topic title – just the reply.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.