Ransomes mg2 questions

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransomes mg2 questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi,
    I have recently acquired a ransomes mg2 crawler for my son to use as he is too small for the rest of my tractors. I am gradually working my way through draining and replacing oils and suchlike and have a few questions that hopefully you can help with.
    I know that it has nipples for oil rather than grease, so what sort of gun do people use for oil. Also I have obtained a few spares from Neil jarrett (and advice) amongst which is an ht lead. How do I attach it to the magneto? Lastly has anybody else had terrible trouble removing the gear lever? The gearbox has a lot of sludge inside so I want to remove the cover to clean it out but can’t shift the lever. I have tried levering it fairly gently and penetrative fluid and heat but still no joy. I may try tomorrow to make a simple puller unless anybody has a better idea.
    Thanks

charlie
    Keymaster

Neil is a member of this forum and should be able to answer your questions.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

I use 140 grade oil which is thick enough to be applied using a standard grease gun.
    The gear levers are notoriously tight a puller and heat are the only way to remove without major damage. Do not lever against the gearbox cover it will crack. How old is your son?

vhgmcbuddy

I think Neil advised a puller and heat but I just thought I’d ask if anybody else had any other ideas. The pullers I have are 3 legged and won’t pull evenly and I don’t want to damage the top of the shaft as it looks as if it has had some previous attention. I can borrow a two legged one tomorrow to try but it’s holding me up today.
    The gearbox cover has already been damaged in the past and I am intending to replace that when I can find one as it let’s the rest of the machine down. I wouldn’t mind if it was a tidy repair but it’s not.
    I’ll get a new grease gun and try the 140 oil in it then, the stuff that’s slowly draining out of the final drives looks pretty thick and nasty.
    My son is coming up to eleven and expressed an interest in the ransomes at a steam rally we were at so I thought this would be a better bet than my full size fleet which my daughter drives under supervision. I also want him to get away from the computer and television and gain some practical skills so this seemed perfect and my wife approved so we are all happy. I may not have got away with another full sized tractor!

dave
    Participant

I have a MG2 handbook that I can get my grandson to download to you if you
    are in need of one.
    What is the machine no and engine no of your machine please for the
    Ransomes register.
    Dave.

vhgmcbuddy

Dave,
    Thanks for the offer of the book download but we got hold of a paper copy. It has been very useful. As regards the machine number the plate is very rusty but I have cleaned it up and think I can make the number out but I am going to get my wife have a look to confirm before I let you know. Where would I find the engine number, I had a quick look but couldn’t see anything.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

I may have a spare gearbox cover where are you from?
    I think it is great to involve your children so many now have no idea of mechanical things.
    The MG2 does not normally have an electric cut out switch near the driver. As they are prone to sticking throttle cables the centrifugal clutch means that the tractor cannot be stopped if the throttle sticks with all the risks that can involve. Having had it happen to me several times can I suggest that you fit a kill switch wired off the magneto to kill the engine in the event of any mishap.

vhgmcbuddy

That’s a good idea about the kill switch, should be nice and simple to do. I finally got the old cover off yesterday, came off quite easily with the aid off a two legged puller which I borrowed. Mind you it should have done after a week of heating and lubricating. It is in very poor order with a little bit missing where one of the brake bands rods comes through so it does really need replacing. I am in cambridgeshire, where are you?

expeatfarmer
    Participant

A single wire off the brass tab on the outside of the magneto body will do the job connect to a switch or push button near the seat, A runaway crawler is not funny they will climb over anything and drop off steep banking without coughing. I am near Carlisle but may be able to get a cover delivered to you. I will have a look and see what I have.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks I would be very grateful. To be quite honest the one I have is not really worth putting back on in the state it is in as it is cracked diagonally across one corner. As a last resort there is a company locally which manufactures containment flasks for the nuclear industry who may have somebody who could effect a decent repair but it would be easier just to replace it especially as there is a bit missing.
    I am hoping to clean the gearbox out this weekend and sort out most of the other jobs such as checking the tracks over and general lubrication so that we can be as near to ready as possible for when the gearbox lid issue is resolved. Still lots of little jobs to sort out though and it always takes longer than you estimate.

vhgmcbuddy

Is the fuel tap repairable? It does look as if it comes apart. Mine is very loose and leaks fuel badly. I managed to fit any eye in to the end of the magneto lead so that it can be attached to the terminal so that’s one question I have answered myself. Also I have purchased a grease gun for the 140 oil so I will see how that goes tomorrow morning.
    My friend has looked at the gearbox cover and said that ultimately if needed it could be repaired but it would be better to replace it if possible as it needs so much work just in cleaning it up before repair could even begin as it is plastered with chemical metal repair paste. Unfortunately not going to get in the garage today as I need to keep myself clean for the remembrance Sunday parade but should get the gear box cleaned out tomorrow.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

You are in luck I have a gearbox cover undamaged in alloy which is correct for the MG2.
    If you make me an offer and postage you are welcome to it. Send me a pm with your full name and address.

vhgmcbuddy

PM sent. I cleaned the original cover up so that I could put it back on to keep muck out of the gearbox and you can see the corner has been completely broken off. I wonder if this was the reason the machine was laid up originally as the broken edges are dirty and tarnished. Then somebody else has come along later on thinking they could mend it, had a go then realised it wasn’t going to work and it didn’t look pretty so leaving it for me to sort out.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Fuel taps can be repaired,they usually leak because the cork seals are either worn or dried out. You can buy corks online or may recover the originals by soaking them for days in alcohol or petrol.

vhgmcbuddy

Once I had put my glasses on I could see how it came apart. The cork is very misshapen so I have dropped it in a jar of petrol to see how it recovers but I have ordered some more anyway. Thanks yet again for the info. Did you get my pm? I am not that brilliant with computers so I wondered if it had been sent.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.