Ransomes MG2 #551

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Ransomes MG2 #551

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Evening all,

Thanks to all who have posted on my thread ‘Ransomes Tracks’ over in the machinery forum.
    As this is going to be a protracted affair, I thought it best to let that thread go to bed and start one on here.
    Just a quick recap.
    I acquired 551 a couple of weeks ago, doing a swap for a dead Allis Chalmers that I was never going to get around to.
    It drove onto the trailer, which was a good start!.
    Subsequent fiddling revealed that the clutch is grabbing, one steering brake is a bit iffy, and a bit of general stiffness and rust.

So, into the shed.

So far, the tracks are split and will require new rubbers and bolts, and the sprocket rollers are all seized.

As it is coming apart, it has been revealed that it is an older restoration, albeit with a brush-painted finish which has suffered with time.

The toolbox appears to be original, with the original brass plates screwed to it. The floor was rotten ply though.

Tonight, I made a start on the engine, removing the air cleaner, fuel tank, tank brackets and the fan. The only nasty surprise being some pigeon poo welding on the underside of the fan housing (am I right to think this is a weak spot? as the rest of the machine is pretty good for 76 years old).

I will try and get some pics of progress so far tomorrow.

At the moment, I’m trying to get it reduced in size as much as possible, because S.W.M.B.O’s parents are coming to stay in a few weeks time, and I will probably lose my shed for the duration, as all the stuff in the spare bedroom will be moved out there.

Hopefully over the weekend I will try and get the engine lifted off.

Joe.

joegrgraham
    Participant

Afternoon everyone.
    The family went shopping today, so i got a couple of very productive hours in on the MG2.
    The original plan was to leave it alone cosmetically, however, due to it having had a poor repaint in the past, the fact I have to virtually strip it anyway, and the ease with which it is coming apart, I know that if I don’t repaint it, it will annoy me for ever more!! Plus, a friend has just bought a sand blaster…

So today I have removed the engine, implement lift, drawbar, WC rollers and carrier and the rear idlers. Also numerous small bits and bobs.
    Pics show progress so far.

Attachments:
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Also a pic of the engine coming off and up on the bench, that gert lump isn’t going to blow away in a breeze is it???

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Making good progress.

dave
    Participant

I am glad to see a workbench a bit like mine, a bit cluttered.
    Good luck with the restoration. Dave.

joegrgraham
    Participant

And the sad thing Dave, is that the shed/bench is tidy!!!
    A place for everything, its just that place is on the floor…..

joegrgraham
    Participant

Got the sprockets off today, courtesy of the Thor hammer. If you ever see one, grab it! It is the most useful hammer i have, it is wood with a metel covering, so its got enough weight to be useful, but is soft enough not to do damage.

Attachments:
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Also took off the gearbox top. I think that explains why the steering brake wasnt too good.
    And note to self, take phone out of shirt pocket BEFORE peering into the bowels of an oil and water filled gearbox, plop…….

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Now you have top off gearbox you should be able to confirm date as it is stamped on one of the gears, crownwheel I think.

joegrgraham
    Participant

Afternoon everyone.
    Made good progress on the MG this week.
    Sand blaster has been pre-warned and all that remains attached to the tub is the gear assembly and the final drives.
    Anyone have any tips how to remove the rear bearing retainer for the PTO? it is unbolted and rocking, just doesnt want to budge off the shaft.

joegrgraham
    Participant

I’m glad I decided to do a full strip-dow .
    Got into the final drives tonight, and they clearly havent seen oil for a while!.
    The left hand pinion gear is badly worn and the right hand bull gear fell off! Due to a seized bearing.
    I would upload some pictures, but my phone has been misbehaving since I dropped it in wet concrete the other day!!

joegrgraham
    Participant

A bit more progress.
    Only the gear assembly to go, just need to shift two very stuck brake band pins, and how do you get to the bottom bolts? There are brake drums in the way…..

Found a couple of nasties, I dont think the pinion bearing retainer should look like THAT! (Pic 2). I think a bearing must have failed at some time, one fell apart on the other side and they’re all stiff, so I shall probably replace the lot.
    Also, the hubs are badly worn where they exit the final drive case (pic 3) which I can see causing sealing issues.

Attachments:
    expeatfarmer
    Participant

Joe the hub seal can be recovered by using a skim of plastic metal to fill the most severe wear, when you refit a new seal do not drive it fully home so that the lip of the seal is running on an unworn surface.

joegrgraham
    Participant

Hi all,
    Just a quick update on the Ransome’s.
    Progress has been a little slow this week as I have been engaged in matters of Land Rover suspension, however yesterday I managed to get the gear assembly removed, so now the tub is completly stripped.
    So now begins the tedious task of cleaning, wire brushing and paint stripping a large pile of bits!.(not to mention trying to scratch together a few pennies for new parts).
    Very little will probably be done the next few weeks as I have in-laws arriving next weekend, and I still have to try and get the damned Trusty running again ready for Lotmead.

joegrgraham
    Participant

Hi all.
    It’s been a while, but the in-laws are gone, the shed move has been completed and the trusty is running.
    So I can now do a bit on the ransomes!.
    My man who will do the sand blasting is combining at the moment so in the meantime I have stated cleaning some of the gearbox parts.
    With the crud removed, the number stamped into the gears is 580, the number on the id plate is 551, so has the plate been swapped or have the gears been changed?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.